New boat or keep the old

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Seafarer 226 which I really like, but I have been eyeing the Fisherman 236. Went and looked at one today and they are really nice and most of what I do is fish don't use the cabin on the Seafarer but for storage. I do like the full enclosure of the Seafarer where the Fisherman would be more open and in New England in October could get cold. I do like the large cockpit of the 226. My Yamaha f225 only has 1044 hours on it, just had the dry exhaust done and the engine is running nice. Had it at 6k rpm doing 37 last night.

I am selling a house and the wife has said take some money and buy a new boat. She likes the open front with the seating and would be able to sit there while I fish in the back. I priced out a new 236 and it is steep, I don't owe anything on the 226.

So my dilemma is sell the house trade the 226 for the 236 or take a fraction of the cost and get the 226 fixed up with new electronics, fix the gelcoat(minor dings), new helm chairs, new cushions and a new trailer for it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144613808@N03/30Kt60

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
That's a tough choice. I myself love the walk around style and do not appreciate the center console. I would buy the dual console first. You can fix the 226 up for a fraction of the costs but all new Gradys are now composite stringers and transom. That's a nice piece of mind right there.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
We moved from a Bayliner bowrider to the Overnighter walk around. While the Grady's cabin has been appreciated and it gives much greater confidence in open water we all have to admit we miss the comfort and the open bow seating of the bowrider.
I have to assume a Grady bowrider would handle the big water and ride it smoother than the Bayliner did.
I often wonder if it would have been a better choice.
Mike

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I'd have to vote for fixing/upgrading IF you really love what you have....IMO there is nothing in the current Grady White model lineup that fits my needs for a true FISHING BOAT. The current line up seems to be geared towards cruising instead.
Nothing Grady now offers has as much cockpit space as my 25 foot 1988 Trophy Pro....even their current Marlin has less.
For me it is perfect...big enough to take 4 guys offshore and yet small enough for me to take out solo anytime I want.

So, although I could afford to buy a new boat if I wanted to, instead I decided to upgrade and improve what I already own.
Here is what I've done to my boat over the years from bow to stern:

Installed windlass and new anchor with new rode
Re-cored/ refinished bow pulpit
Replaced bow running lights
Resealed and coated front windows
Resealed cabin windows
Replaced Horn (several times)
Replaced running light on hardtop
Installed GPS antenna on hardtop
Installed Sirius Radio antenna on hardtop
Replaced VHF radio antenna on hardtop
Welded/repaired hardtop pipes (which became cracked after having my boat bounced hard on the road for 6000 miles while being hauled 5 times between NJ and Fla before I bought my lift)
Replaced canvas (twice)
Replaced/upgraded helm and passenger seats
Reupholstered cabin cushions
Replaced windshield wiper motors
Replaced windshield wiper blades (several times)
Replaced front bilge pump and/ or float-switch (several times)
Replaced/upgraded Color Fishfinder and transducer
Replaced/upgraded Radar
Replaced Loran with GPS Chartplotters (now running 2 Garmin units)
Installed Sirius satellite Radio
Installed Stereo and speakers
Installed Ipod Music player
Installed Garmin Autopilot
Rewired/upgraded control switches with custom panel
Replaced Dual Throttle Binnacle (twice, now with fly by wire cable-less electronic control)
Replaced/upgraded instruments with 7" Evinrude touchscreen and custom panel
Installed additional rod holders on aft end of side rails
Removed side accent stripe decals from Hull
Removed decals from cabin sides
Replaced cockpit bolsters (twice)
Refinished Teak rodholders and trim (several times)
Replaced original Aft Bulkhead and hatches with new Marine Plywood bulkhead coated with Teak vernier
A few years later replaced the already-replaced wood aft bulkhead with Custom Starboard bulkhead and hatches.
Replaced both fuel tanks and hoses
Replaced original plastic Thru-hull drain fittings with bronze
Re-cored tank hatches and re-coated entire cockpit deck with non-slip awlgrip
Replaced both fuel senders (twice, once when new tanks were installed, then again when recently repowered with G2's)
Replaced aft bilge pump and float switch (several times)
Installed additional rod holder between transom hatch covers
Recored and refinished transom hatch covers
Replaced Scuppers and hoses
Replaced batteries (several times)
Replaced main circuit breaker in stern (twice)
Replaced and rewired Flo-Scan sensors
Replaced fuel filer housings and remounted fuel filters on new bracket
Replaced fuel filters (twice per year)
Had the hull bead blasted and re-sealed / repainted with ablative bottom paint
Re coated the bottom paint annually (no longer need to do that now that it sits on the lift all year)
Replaced original aluminum motor bracket with Hermco fiberglass deep V flotation bracket with integral swim platform
Replaced Original Evinrude carbed motors with FICHT motors
Replaced FICHT Motors with E-Tec motors
Replaced E-Tec motors with Evinrude G2's.

I'm sure there are other things I've missed, but the point is, if you LOVE your existing boat, maintain / upgrade it....and these Grady Whites will last a LONG time!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think I am going get new electronics and cushions etc. I think the cockpit on the seafarer and the fact I can completely enclose the helm for colder weather or snotty seas makes it a keeper. I put some money into already and I can take the bulk of what I make from the sale and buy a house in South Carolina.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm a walkaround fan also. Love the lines of them. Full enclosure and keep right on fishing or stay dry. Being in New England area I would guess your seasons might be shorter than some further south, the full enclosure would add to your time on the water.

I just bought my 2004 228 back in April and I'm completely going through it. It's moved from Florida to Kentucky and will be primarily a fresh water boat with an occasional salt trip. The exhaust has been done and it's currently in fiberglass having some things filled in and chips and gouges repaired. Will bring it home and replace all thru hulls, pumps, and anything else not working. New electronics,, Icom VHF, Kenwood AM/FM, twin Lowrance HDS 7 Carbons, new curtains, replaced all snaps, most hinges, pulling the floor fuel tank panels to check tanks and flush with water to remove the salt, new caulking and a good buff and wax. Then she'll be ready to go.

Reactions: Heyspike

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just got the quote for the new 236, 113,648 plus 8-10k for electronics and another 3-5 for a new trailer.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
mmiela said:
Just got the quote for the new 236, 113,648 plus 8-10k for electronics and another 3-5 for a new trailer.

$130K+ after taxes all in?
Well, new IS nice...but it's a tough decision because for a fraction of that cost you can upgrade your current boat with:

New state of the art motor(s) (convert to twins if you want)
All new digital controls
a new enclosed transom with new bracket designed for single or twins
new windlass
new electronics
new wiring
new autopilot
new seats
new canvas
new fuel tanks
and whatever else you think you need or would like to have...

and still OWN a boat with:

a bigger cockpit with more fishing space
a cuddy cabin to store your gear
protection from the cold in the early spring and late fall...

Decisions, decisions... :)

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes about 130 all in not including if I trade my Seafarer in or not.