Need help with handling a Grady White 265

mlnatter

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Grady White 265 and can't figure out how to keep it straight. The boat seems to list from
side to side. I have tried lifting the engines and gingerly using the trim tabs. If you look at my wake the boat is doing an s. I am afraid to take the boat over 16 mph. Is this typical for the model? Any advice would be appreciated.

Lucky13

Reaction score
something sounds off. I have a 2001 265 also. it is a bit more touchy of a ride bc of how beamy it is but should not be doing that. I alsmost never use my tabs just bring tilt thet engines up a bit when running. Use the tabs very gently for heavy loads or big crowds not evenly dispersed but that's it. If this boat is new to you it does take a little getting used to but not much. Like I said something sounds off. Good luck

bartoma

Reaction score
Did you do a sea trial? Suggest you get out with someone who has experience with the boat before you decide you have a problem...

When I bought mine, I went out with a sales rep who walked me through how to trim that model appropriately... Once you get used to it, you'll have no problem keeping in in the sweet spot...

eppem

Reaction score
Is the steering loose or maybe the engines aren't lined up? Agreed, something seems wrong. Not a hard boat to get used to. Pull tabs up, trim motors down and hit the throttle. When on plane tweek the engines up for better economy and tweak tabs if needed based on weight or swells from port or starboard. Just remember to lower the engines and pull the tabs back when backing back into a slip.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you don't run it over 16mph, it must be a new to you boat. Are you sure you know what the tabs are doing? It sounds like you may be running with one down, either operator error, or malfunction. Visually inspect them on the trailer, or at the dock, while someone else operates the switches to make sure they fully retract. Bow down on the switch is tab down, and bow up is tab up, and I always wire mine with the switch on the right operating the tab on the left, and vice versa, so that pushing the left switch down pushes the left side of the bow down.

Sketchywind

Reaction score
Ditto Glacier reply.

Here's what I've learned running out of San Francisco Bay in NW swells.

Tabs all the way up and motors trimmed down until you get on plane. Trim motors up first a bit, then adjust trim tabs sparingly for weight load or head sea conditions Tap the trim tabs gently and wait a moment for boat to adjust. You'll notice the 265 can handle head sea conditions smoother and drier than other boats.

In following sea conditions, the 265 runs bow tender: reset boat trim tabs fully up, then trim motors as far up almost to cavitation to keep bow steer at minimum. This will keep the bow up and prevent bow steer. It's uses more fuel, but will ride much safer. There's no rush in a following sea conditions, don't stuff the bow or she will flop.

Enjoy the ride!

djohnson52

Reaction score
I purchased a 268 a few years back and ran into the same problem. I admit the majority of it was operator error (my first boat) although I do think one of the tabs was stuck in the downward position. I would be motoring along and the boat would just make a hard left turn and scare the crap out of me. Now I make sure the weight is as evenly spread as possible and try not to use my tabs unless absolutely necessary.

If your boat is like mine even just someone going from one side to the other makes the boat list heavily in that direction. This definitely took me a while to get used to, but overall the boat handles great in rough seas and I can fly by many of the other boats out there without getting pounded to death.

jwsonas

Reaction score
Just an additional morsel for thought...I had a similar problem with my 24 Offshore. Felt heavy and sluggish, and listed uncharacteristically.
Turned out (I discovered once the boat was haled out) that the inner hull was full of water, bilge had not been operating properly. I removed the drain plug, water emptied out for about 3 or 4 minutes once up on the stands.
Maybe far-fetched, but worth checking out...