Opinions: 2000 Adventure 208 vs. 1993 Explorer 245

gw204

Reaction score
Back in the market after selling my little Maycraft CC earlier this year. I'm looking for something descent in the 20 to 24 range that I can use mostly for fishing the Chesapeake Bay, but also for day drips with the family (wife, teenage daughter or daughters and 9 yr old son) and an occasion run offshore (power permitting). I'm not searching specifically for a Grady, but I am keeping my eyes open for an inexpensive SeaV2 walkaround.

Here's the kicker though...budget is only $10K and I'm finding that the selection of SeaV2 Gradys in that range is super, super slim. The ones that do pop up are gone before I can even get a look at them. That being said, I recently ran across the following two and have been in contact with the sellers:

2000 Adventure 208, 2000 Evinrude Ficht RAM 200 w/ ~450 hours and Load Rite trailer.
No hardtop, but bimini w/ full enclosure. Currently for sale by the third owner and appears to be well kept. 3 hours away. Asking $10K.
Goods: Newer hull, poly tank, built w/ rot resistant plywood, less work to get usable
Bads: Ficht (although it has been running for a long time), smaller, trailer needs some work

IMG_1301_zpsftztiglz.jpg

1993 Explorer 245, Volvo 260 duoprop (needs props) w/ 148 hours and trailer.
Hardtop w/ enclosure. Currently for sale by the niece of former owner. He passed away approx. 18 months ago and the boat has not been used since. 2.5 hours away. Asking $7k...but pretty sure I can get for less.
Goods: Bigger, cheaper, hardtop
Bads: Aluminum tank (probably original), no rot resistant wood, seller doesn't have a lot of info on it, more work to get usable

IMG_3757_zpsqdj1modo.jpeg

Any thoughts/suggestions about these two? I'm not saying either one is "the one" so I'm OK with passing on both if that's the best course of action.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
As far as the size and layout I would think the bigger the better. We mainly do a lot of day trips to the beach and occasional attempts at fishing with my boat. Had the 24' Offshore before although that did 99% of what I needed, the extra room in the 27' is much appreciated. I would think the same theory would go for the 20 vs 24 for these two boats.

I considered at a fitch on a boat awhile ago and I thought I remember from my research that if they were still running they would most like be fine into the future, the resale would be effected though. That being said used OX66's are getting cheaper and cheaper. I do not know anything about the Volvo's, but that Explorer is a nice looking boat for the money! I am sure the risers and the rest of the cooling system would need some attention unless they have been done already. Inspect the tank, it might still be ok if it was kept dry, or make an offer based on a the cost of replacing it.

gw204

Reaction score
Thanks.

Your thoughts pretty much mirror was I was thinking. My research had turned up the same thing about Fichts...it they made it past 100 hours, they were probably OK.

I'm just a tad concerned that the motor box of the 245 would eat up so much cockpit space that you end up with the same usable sq. ft. of the 208. I guess even if that was the case, you still get the benefits of the larger cabin, better, ride, etc.

One thing I do REALLY like about the 245 is the fuel tank hatch in the floor. No only does it provide easy access to the tank, but it's a giant inspection plate to look at stringers and bulkheads...

If I can get that 245 for $5k it would be super hard to pass up...even if it needs a bunch of work.

There's a 248 local to me as well. Not sure what it is about that boat, but it's not nearly as enticing as the 208 or 245.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/6186322235.html

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 24 is a bigger ride and will ride better. I am not an inboard outboard guy so I shy away it but that's me. Older boat has older wiring and such. Once you get that stuff fixed if it needs it then you got a nice 24.

gw204

Reaction score
Spoke to the owner of the 245 again last night and she told me the mechanic at the yard where the boat is stored said it needs risers...so she has dropped the price to $6k.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It really comes down to this - do you want to be in the water this summer or do you want another project?

The 243 sounds like it needs some work...the 208 can be in the water quickly.

gw204

Reaction score
A full on project isn't what I'm looking for, but if it's something that I can sink a little work into over the next month or two I'm ok with that.

That 24 is at a price point where I could probably stick a new motor in it and still be ahead of the game. :D

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I am not an I/O guy myself, but for $6k that sounds like a pretty good price with a trailer. I would think that in good condition would be $12k+ boat. I am sure no-one is beating their doors down for it if you throw even a lower offer at them and let them sit on it for a week you might be surprised. I know bad risers can be fatal to a motor like that. If they have not failed yet is that a job that can be done yourself in a day without too many unexpected complications?

Out of the way for you, but this popped up this afternoon on my local CL. No bargain but seems fair.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/6216493186.html

gw204

Reaction score
Unfortunately I had to rule out the 245. :(

My son and I made the 2-1/2 hour drive to check in out yesterday and found most of the port side of the cockpit floor was soft, the bulkhead separating the tank and engine compartments was rotten and the glass over the engine beds had popped open from the wood absorbing water and swelling.

She could be a nice boat for someone that had the time to dig in. I tried to convince my wife that person was me because I know I could save make it nice but that didn't go over well at all...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sometimes it's best to walk away. And with the wife not onboard with your rehab dreams, also best to move on. Happy wife, happy life!!

Risers, bulkheads, panels and who knows what else needs attention, a possible can of worms you would open. The niece probably doesn't know the true condition as she is going on the advice of others. It's not her fault, I'm sure she's doing the best she can.

MD summers are probably shorter than ours here in Kentucky, so getting on the water this year with a project boat wouldn't happen.

I'd try and find something with cosmetic issues and go forward, you can be on the water and address the cosmetics during the off season.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My father always says the further away something is the more of a POS it usually ends up being. This sounds like it fit that description! I always keep my eyes peeled for projects, but mostly cosmetic or maybe needing a repower with a used OX66. The deals are out there but I know at least for New England this is not the time of year to find one.

gw204

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised at what I found. This I/O boat was put together the same way as a 227 I had a few years ago and it had the very same issues...aside from the cockpit floor, so I sort of expected it...but was hopeful that it was a diamond in the rough.

I'm not holding anything against the niece or the widow of the owner. Neither of them are familiar with boats and they are doing the best they can. I feel bad for them as they are relying on the guy at the marina (and paying him) to maintain and show the boat and he appears to be failing miserably. I spoke with him the day before I went down to let him know I was coming and then called him again 90 minutes before my arrival so he had time to get the boat out of the warehouse. He didn't come though so my son and I had to go over it almost in the dark. It was nice to have the shade though.

I'm not sad that I made the trip. Had a good time with my boy educating him on how boats are put together and how to evaluate them. :)