Prop size for my 1990 226 .

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
I am looking for the correct prop size for my 1990 226 seafarer , I have a 06 e-tec 250hp for it , I am also installing a flotation bracket on the transom , I don't know if that would affect
the prop sizing .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Run it WOT with a light load, then do the same with your normal load (don't forget gas level). Trim it as high as you can to get your max speed. Record those numbers, especially RPM. Compare that to your engine's recommended WOT RPM range. Those are the "data points" needed to move forward. Post back with those numbers, along with your current prop size/make/model. Wait to do this till after you install the bracket.

RTNEPTUNE

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Run it WOT with a light load, then do the same with your normal load (don't forget gas level). Trim it as high as you can to get your max speed. Record those numbers, especially RPM. Compare that to your engine's recommended WOT RPM range. Those are the "data points" needed to move forward. Post back with those numbers, along with your current prop size/make/model. Wait to do this till after you install the bracket.

That's great , but I have no prop now . I need a starting point . size and pitch ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, now that would be a good piece of information to lead with! :mrgreen:

Probably about a 17" prop. If you want to cheat :wink: you can get a pretty good idea by going to an internet site like Prop Gods. But you might be best served with doing this with a local marina/prop shop. If you're in a relatively popular boating area (which is pretty much anywhere in Florida), most places that sell props will have loaners so you can do some trial and error.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 2003 226 with a f225 has a 15.5x17 SSII

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As others have said, 17 pitch is a good starting point for 3 blade. If you go 4 blade, drop back in pitch by 1.

You can always reach out to Ken at Prop Gods and run it by him.