Cockpit Self Bailing Drain Replacement - for 228G

Peahead

Reaction score
Going to replace a self bailing cockpit drain on my 228G . They are described as 1.5" diameter beveled flanged. The OEM part I was provided by Grady White is GW #11-369 .

Now knowing Grady's OEM parts are supplied from various other manufacturers such as Perko,TH Marine etc. does anyone here know who supplies Grady with this particular drain part? Or, alternatively an aftermarket match ?

I will order the OEM part from Taylor Marine in Delware although shipping to me in BC before from there
was crazy expensive via USPS ( they sell directly or via Ebay store )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRADY-WHITE-COC ... 4665842cef

I avoid the local GW dealer near me unless I want to hear complaining (because I bought my Grady used elsewhere) and then wait 4 months for parts that cost triple what an online marine supplier would charge :hmm

Attachments

• s-l1600a.jpg
    s-l1600a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,143

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a thought....I'd let GW customer service know if your local dealer is being uncooperative. They pride themselves on Customer Service and would appreciate the feedback.

Peahead

Reaction score
glacierbaze said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/90D-MIRRORED-STAINLESS-STEEL-1-1-2-INCH-BOAT-DECK-DRAIN/141908650730?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks glacier, yes I saw that one earlier but a few reasons I am hesitant to use that one. Have you installed these ones or just suggesting them as a possibility? I am not too sure I like the screw in to floor method of installation of the the drain as opposed to having a drain nut that clamps up under the floor to "sandwich" the floor board and hold the drain in place. The latter being almost a duplicate of how a thru-hull is installed so seems much more robust installation( without any screws holes as well.) Also not sure of the width of the stainless flange that overlaps on top of floor, so not sure it would fit flush into the recessed area that Grady provides for the drains to sit. As well the drains depth (distance to the 90 degree elbow) has to be quite short/shallow due to shallow clearance below floor. I'd have to know those 2 measurements before I could order drains that were not OEM or at least an aftermarket copy. I bought some very nice GEM stainless drains with check balls ( screw in design) but when I got them the flange diameter ended up being a bit too large and the 45 degree elbow was just a bit to deep to fit. I almost cried as they were a thing of art!
http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/Deck-Drains/89501

Parthery said:
Just a thought....I'd let GW customer service know if your local dealer is being uncooperative. They pride themselves on Customer Service and would appreciate the feedback.

Yes I did mention it to 2 of the Customer service reps in NC via e-mail. I also mentioned my displeasure with regards to lack of service and speed getting parts when I spoke directly to the local dealer. I didn't mention to them however that even with the huge USA/CAD $ difference and shipping costs involved, I can still usually get Grady parts cheaper via USA Grady dealers.