7.4 88 25ft sailfish performance

john b flood

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your time I'm interested in a 1988 25ft. sailfish with a 7.4 mpi with a bravo one, was looking for any performance reports or opions thanks again

JeffN

Reaction score
I have an '83 with a 496 Bravo 1. Not apples to apples but what might I help you with? My '83 Kingfish, in '83 the sailfish with I/Os were Kingfish, that I repowered with the 496 is a very nice package. It has what I consider good fuel mileage and performance also. How old is the motor in the boat you are looking at? The 7.4 should be relatively similar to my boat if the motor is in good shape etc.

JeffN

Reaction score
Have to check on that one. Don't really run at 20 knots. Mine seems to cruise best in the 3300 to 3400 range, when it is not too rough, yielding around 24+ knots and IIRC use about 13 GPH. 20 knots is a bit sluugish for me, running 3300 makes the boat feel really good. Hull up out on top of the water and just humming along. I'll check fuel consumption today at 3300 and 3400. According to the GPS mileage and what it takes to fill up total I get 2 NMPG per tank consistently. Interestingly I have the smart craft stuff and the Gallons used function is accurate within a couple of gallons per tank.

Edit - Ran 20 knots today, smooth conditions, and was using 9 to 9.5 GPH against an incoming tide. At 3300 I was running 25 knots and change and using +/- 13 GPH.

john b flood

Reaction score
thank you for the info with them results I could figure a bit more for a 330hp motor compaired to the 496 cu.motor I will reconsider thanks.

JeffN

Reaction score
Have you been able to take a test ride? Then you would know first hand. Good luck with your boat search.

john b flood

Reaction score
sorry for delay in response I have not because boat is in cape cod but have decided not to go with an I/o thanks for your input