228/248/232 ...tough decision

mheltunen

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on a few different boats. I recently sold my proline 231 and now I'm looking to purchase a Grady. Due to my type of fishing/boating im a bit torn on which model to chose. I live in northern Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior. My fishing is generally for salmon and Lake trout and we venture anywhere from 5-60 miles offshore. Granted we dont see huge ocean waves but Lake Superior can get quite spirited at times with wave heights commonly 2-5'+. I have never ocean fished so i have no good comparison but I have heard that the great lakes waves are much closer together, and on the wrong hull can make for a very harsh and rough ride. The next point I need to take into consideration is I trailer a boat very frequently to fish from different ports. Initially I was convinced that the 228 would be a perfect fit. Its layout is a highly sought after one for anglers and powered with a 225 it has no lack of power behind it. The only drawback I see is it may be a bit tight for 4 grown adults. Due to the 60 mile offshore trips I periodically take, the thought of twins is a very appealing which brought me to the next option...The gufstream. In my mind no more needs to be said. The boat itself is a legend, and coupled with twins, a beast in open water. The obvious drawback to the 232 is its width, which ironically is one of its best assets, except for trailering. this brought me to my last option , the 248 Voyager. Initially I was turned off by the euro transom which may create congestion for fishing off of the back and some rumors of its "harsher" ride compared to the previously mentioned models, but the thought of twins on a trailerable boat is highly appealing. I have a F250 with a diesel so whichever boat I chose pulling it will not be a problem. Im looking at these models in the 1995-2000 era (due to budget restraints). Of these 3 models the 248 is the one I know the least of and I would appreciate any feedback or ideas that you have. If I do decide to "compromise" and go with a single outboard, I would be outfitting it with a kicker for both trolling and a backup means of propulsion. Sorry for the long post,

Thanks, Mark

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I fish my Gulfstream on Lk Erie & Michigan, trolling for walleye and salmon. I did get a permit for towing, $90 per year need to register boat, trailer, and tow vehicle @ $30 each. Trimmed properly I'm able to plane out in most water I care to fish in. I've fished 5 people on the boat and plenty of room as long as someone's in time out ( helm seat) :lol: . There was one set up for trolling for sale in Onekama recently, not sure if still available. Good Luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Once Again:

I had a Seafarer 22,(the one I told you about that I got a drop hitch for my truck to get it in my shed.)

I sold it and got a 232 Gulfstream and the ride is MUCH better. I personally would not run Superior on any regular basis offshore with a Seafarer. It would be uncomfortable enough in a 232 with anything over 10kt winds and 2 footers.

The 232 will ride a bit rougher than a 258 Journey or probably your 248 due to the 9' 3" beam. The extra width just makes it slap a little more in a head or quartering sea.

Your twins idea is worthwhile. I wouldn't have a boat without them. Peace of mind offshore and close quarter maneuvering are big positives. I wouldn't want to horse a 232 into a slip with a wind having just a single. It's hard enough with twins.

Stick with your garage concept. As you mentioned, having your rig stored inside is key to it staying newer longer.

Are you in Superior WI? I toured with a country band in 2000 that played Shooters Saloon regularly. We'd cross that Blatnick (Sp?) Bridge and stay in Duluth at a joint called the Willard Munger Inn. Baseboard heating in January..Aye yi yi...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Crap..Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw you are in N. Michigan, not Superior WI.

Oops...

mheltunen

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Crap..Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw you are in N. Michigan, not Superior WI.

Oops...

I agree Billl, baseboard heat in January in Duluth can be a chilly evening. Im located about 4 hours east of Duluth so not really that far away. Odd, I would have guessed that the 232 would ride better than the 248 but you make a good point about the beam width. This will be my 3rd boat in the 24' class and truthfully I expect I would be happy with any of the Gradys rides. My first was a Trophy and it rode like an old school bus in anything over a 1' chop. I then moved up to a Proline next and it was a huge improvement over the trophy but was a wet ride in the sloppy stuff. Both previous vessels were I/O's and i figured this time around i'd give outboards a try. I like the simplicity and easy access that an outboard offers for general maintenance. I have fished in the past off of a friends 1992 232 and that sort of sold me on a future Grady. I sure appreciate your feedback.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I only have experience with the 248 with a single. I don't have a hard top to catch wind while docking, but it isn't too terrible to maneuver unless you are in tight quarters.
As for the ride, it is very dry, but not smooth with my configuration. I just added 160 lbs of ballast to the bow to see if I could make an improvement. It is marginally better, but not great. This hull seems to ride better when heavy. A full tank rides noticeably better than a half tank. I would love to experience a 248 with twins and a hard top just to see if the ride was better. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I don't think it is unreasonable for a 25' boat to ride well in 2-3 footers at 25-30 mph. This hull does not consistently do this well. However, if you drop the tabs and tuck the engine, it will run nicely in the slop at about 20 mph, but the 0x66 will be getting sub 2 mpg. Trimmed out, expect 2.3-2.6 depending on load.
As for trailering, I wouldn't want to go wider than 8'6". 8'6" is bad enough.
Sounds like you have plenty of truck. My 2.7 ecoboost hustles this 7k lbs configuration easily.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your most welcome; Happy to talk boats and everything related.

Keep us up-to-date on how this all works out!

mheltunen

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Your most welcome; Happy to talk boats and everything related.

Keep us up-to-date on how this all works out!

I will! I'm limited on purchasing until spring so I figure this is a good time to do my research and pick other grady owners brains a bit. This forum has been very helpful and educational.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've progressed through a few cuddys to my current 228. My first was a Trophy 2002, beat, bang, thrash come to mind of how it ran with anything less than a full tank. Fished 3 pretty good, 4 would be crowded but doable. It did what I asked so really no complaints with it. Then to a Seaswirl Striper 2301, was a big step up and fished 4 pretty comfortably. Ride was much improved over the Trophy. Now to the 228, just picked it up in April and have just finished a refit and freshening up of it. Had it out in the gulf in Tampa when I bought it and can say, without a doubt, the ride is far and above the others. First fishing trip is in a little over a month, only two though, so plenty of room. 4 is very doable, 5 is like Denko, someone in time out. Most of my trips, I limit it to 3, me and 2 others, seems to work for me. Me and one is ideal, usually multiple boats in the group so everyone is spread out. 6 guys and 3 boats is fun, good natured competition for bragging rights. I trailer from Kentucky to South Carolina to fish so all my boats are easy to pull and not over width. Wife and I will be trailering to Florida for vacation, exploring, island hopping and a little fishing in the future, the 228 will do all that we want and easy to trailer. I pull with a F350 dually crew cab diesel, so no issue dragging a boat down the road.

Good luck on your search. 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My advice is to get the biggest boat you can afford. With that said, I run my 228 all over. I take it to the Bahamas,I took it to the Dry Tortugas and I take it offshore fishing a few times a year. For a 22 footer it is a solid platform. I mainly troll for dolphin but when I go to the Keys we bottom fish too. When I troll I will take 4 plus me. Four is a good mix on the 228.

The layout is really great for fishing or cruising. We love the full width swim platform for exploring reefs and swimming at the lake.

I love my boat but I suffer greatly two foot itis and the Journey is a great boat. Last year Grady made the last Journey. They discontinued that hull. The dual console super boats are driving their sales and walks are not selling, yet I love mine and would buy another.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why not make me an offer, and buy mine before I put in storage.I'm just on the other side of the big pond from you.Lets talk.

mheltunen

Reaction score
yankeecause said:
Why not make me an offer, and buy mine before I put in storage.I'm just on the other side of the big pond from you.Lets talk.

Very tempting Joe, but I have a few limiting factors that prevents me from going ahead with a purchase this year. We are expecting a new baby and relocating as well. You could always tempt me with some pictures though.

Mark