gas tanks

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. Does anyone have any idea how long gas tanks last on these models? Just trying to be proactive with any potential problems...John

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's really no way to know for sure as there are too many variables. Where the boat is used, how the boat is cared for, etc, etc. The only way to know is to check it out. I've seen/heard of some going bad in 5 years (rare), and others last decades and decades. At a bare minimum, pop the plate to access the sender and take a looksie. Often (not always) the first sign of damage is pinholes on the topside of the tank, not so much on the bottom. It wouldn't be a bad idea to once in a while spray off the tank, let it dry (plate off) and then spray it down with a protective coating. Also, keeping your bilge dry can help a lot - as moisture is one of the key factors to tanks dying.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Sold my 1988 Gulfstream 3 years ago and the 27 yo tanks were in great shape. If you lift the floor boards out you can visually inspect the tops and most of the tank sides. I had access to a fiber optic camera to look underneath the tanks and did not see any need for a leak (pressure) test. As stated, they can last a long time if they are kept dry and installed correctly.

eppem

Reaction score
You may want to think about replacing the fuel lines - I have on 03 265 and did them all last year, tank (knock on wood), is in good shape

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I pulled my tanks out about 5 years ago when I purchased this boat. Inspected and found that where they sit on the bottom rubber strips, was where most of the corrosion damage was. However, was not too deep, or not deep enough to be concerned for new tanks. So I cleaned them, sanded, cleaned again, used Marine Tex epoxy over the corrosion spots and then coated tanks with Coal Tar Epoxy as recommended by many as protection for fuel tanks for the long term. At same time, replaced all fuel lines, even though the originals looked to be in great shape after approx. 19 years. Hope the new rubber holds up as well.

To cushion the bottom, did not reuse the rubber strips, but instead added 1/4" PVC strips adheared to bottom using 5200 before coating with the Coal Tar. I think I am in good shape now long and have more peace of mind. By the way, this method follows the Dale Pescoe Marine Surveyor method of protecting aluminum tanks.

jcacchio

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of your responses. Is replacing the fuel lines a big project? I don't do any of the work myself and would rely on my marina to do the work. Just looking for what it may involve.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In my case, I had the floor panel pulled and had full access to all fuel lines. However ,the fuel fill line goes through the stringer and routes up through to the fuel fill in areas not accessible.
So what I did was cut off a short 6" or so section of heavy wall pvc pipe to fit correctly inside the old hose and new hose. Then I put in some drywall screws evenly around and then wrapped with tape to ensure once I start pulling/tugging, they could not separate. It worked very well. Helps if you have someone pushing one end while you can pull on the other end.

The actual fuel lines can be done in same manner, but mine were easy to reach in all areas from under floor through to transom and then to motors.