Journeyman:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If memory serves, aren't you at 1.2 or so w/your 350's at cruise?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If memory serves me correct, and it's becoming an insolent SOB lately LOL, I got "Best Cruise" @ 1.3 mpg, 3800 rpm doing 31 mph.

That being said, I'm not a numbers guy. Nor do I hover over my gauges and tweek until I'm most efficient. I only noted them to compare with the specs from Grady. That may seem crazy to some but it is what it is. As long as my rig is running smoothly, I'm happy. I run as conditions and comfort allow. I'm more apt to interpret fuel numbers for signs of trouble. For example, the only time I pushed the throttles wide this year I only got 5400 rpm. Last year WOT was 5700. No issues with either engine. I played with the trim but could not get any more. I had VST's done at the end of 2015. I will probably have them done again this year and also have my fuel injectors serviced as I'm near 500 hours and that's when my service rep recommends they be done. A friend had his injectors done two years ago and he noticed a big difference in rpm and mpg.

It seems to be turning fast up here. Getting colder at night. Winter is coming! (GOT if you're a fan)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's what I was afraid of...

If I fire the gun and get this Marlin, I should probably just put duct tape over the fuel gauge and motor on..

A member on here once said the fuel burn numbers Grady posts on their "Performance Specs" are wildly optimistic. I would believe that.

I assume you have bottom paint? That would drop it a tad.

Like yourself, I trim & run for existing conditions, but I also look at the numbers. it's fun for me and maddening at the same time.

For example, I know when my Yam speedo on the dash is reading right with or 1 MPH below my GPS speed, I have a little seaweed in the pitiot tube. When the tube is clear, it's 1-2 MPH faster than the GPS readout.

OCD? Yeah, but it's so hard to change late in life....

Thanks! I'm in the midst of my research on this one. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
magicalbill said:
If I fire the gun and get this Marlin, I should probably just put duct tape over the fuel gauge and motor on..

It only hurts when you're at the fuel dock! :wink:

TonyD

Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of Marlins - how is the boat? My wife and I have been thinking of upgrading from our '89 Tournament to something bigger (and with sleeping/cuddy options) and I found this '90 Marlin for sale. Although from the pictures it looks like it needs a little TLC, I was wondering about the boat itself. How was the boat built, was it a good boatt, gas mileage, etc... anyone know?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... merspoint&

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
TonyD said:
Since we are on the topic of Marlins - how is the boat? My wife and I have been thinking of upgrading from our '89 Tournament to something bigger (and with sleeping/cuddy options) and I found this '90 Marlin for sale. Although from the pictures it looks like it needs a little TLC, I was wondering about the boat itself. How was the boat built, was it a good boatt, gas mileage, etc... anyone know?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... merspoint&

Since there have been no replies from anyone with knowledge of this particular year Marlin, I'll say a few words. It's a 27 year old boat. This doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile but it does mean that you need to pay special attention to the structural integrity. Stringers, transom etc. As far as the TLC part... If it's within your capabilities either with talent and or financially, I'm sure it can be made "Pretty" again. You can do as much or as little as you want. From what I've learned from this forum, it's probably pre-SeaV2. And it surprises me that a 90 Marlin is 30 feet. I'm not sure of the progression but I know that they grew to 30 feet over time.

Maybe after the holiday weekend, someone may reply with more/better info. If it surveys good and you take the plunge, good luck and post pictures!