Trailer recommendation for Gulfstream

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
When I purchased my rig two years ago it came with a trailer, a LoadMaster roller type. Once last spring while towing it got a bit squirrelly, which at the time I attributed to inattentiveness trying to remove my jacket while entering a downhill section of highway. Ever since then I feel like I can't quite relax while towing the boat. So before I trailered to Lake MI this year I stopped by a scrapyard to have it weighed, which I had meant to accomplish last year :roll: With the boat decked out for salmon fishing and a little less than half capacity of fuel, it came in at 8360# on the trailer, but with the tongue weight a mere 340#! No wonder it was squirrelly! Not only that the trailer itself is rated @ 5800#, which means I'm over capacity ~1000# as well. With all that in mind I'm going to pursue a new trailer after I bring it home next weekend. For all you 232 owners, tell me about your dual-axle trailer! I spoke with a local company that will build an AL I-beam bunk trailer with 5K axles and 4-wheel electric brakes for ~$5000 before tax and any add-ons I might want(electric over hyd.brakes was one, electric winch, etc) Am I going in the proper direction here? Thanks in advance for all comments!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This has been a crusade of mine..

So many folks tow boats with under-equipped trailers; One pays the price in premature bearing wear, brakes failing, sometimes even welds breaking and herky-jerky handling as you experienced.

I have a 232 and have experienced all of the above.

You are indeed headed down the right road.

Mine is heaver than yours, 10,100 lbs including trailer.

Here's what I did:

1.) My trailer came w/ two 5k axles. I replaced them w/ 7k axles and the difference was noticeable. Bearing failure was cut in half and it handled way better. Keep in mind with 5k axles, I was right at max cap on the trailer. You need & want a cushion.

2.) Electric brakes. While electric over hydraulic would be preferable, I've had few problems with my brakes in-and-out of saltwater for 10 years. I replaced them a time or two. Just keep after the maintenance.

With your 232 you may be alright with 5k axles; you weigh less than mine. I would advise going to the 7K option if you plan to tow significant distances. I went back-and-forth from Indiana to Fla until I retired and moved down here. Towing that kind of distance, I was glad to have the 7K option and the heavy-duty overbuilt trailer.

It also depends on how long you want to keep the boat. I spent the better part of $7500.00 on mine and I was glad to do it. 10 years later, the boat is safe and protected on that trailer and I can get it out of the way of a hurricane at a moment's notice.

If this is a short-term proposition and your moving up to a bigger boat later, you don't have to go for broke on the trailer. Just make it safe.

Luck to 'Ya!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oh yeah...

I have a Dutton 2- speed winch that works great for me.

Put it in the hi-gear setting for the first part of the crank-up then switch to the lower gear, like when you downshift a ten-speed bike going up a hill.
You can get an electric winch, but I'm not a big strong guy and I winched mine on, no prob.

Where on Lake Michigan? I spent the greatest summers ever on Portage Lake. Worked at Onekama Marine for a summer..Ran all up and down that shoreline. Beautiful as it gets.

Good luck with your trailer. That 232 is a great boat for Lake Michigan.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks Bill. This year I left my boat at Thompson's Marina in Ludington, last year it was on the trailer and I went up to Leland with it as well as Ludington. It certainly is beautiful country, even better when the fishing is good like it's been this year :D Do you have brakes on both axles? When you say you redid them is it just like changing shoes/pads? Here's a few pics from this summer:
fetch

fetch

fetch

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks! neat pics..

Glad you boated some keepers this summer..A few years back at Portage, we made a deal with a charter guide operating out of the marina in front of the hotel. We'd get them a couple 12-packs and they would give us fresh-caught salmon that the customers didn't take with them. I miss those days, although the summers end quickly up there as you know.

RE: Trailer brakes..I didn't do them myself as I'm not mechanically inclined. They replaced the pads, I believe and I have brakes on both axles. If you stay in fresh, you'll likely not have the trouble with the brakes that saltwater immersion causes.

There is nothing wrong with surge brakes, but I prefer electric, having had both over the years. I've never had electric over hydraulic, but would certainly consider that option if I was to rig up another trailer in the future.

Leland is gorgeous: Nice ramp there inside the State Waterways Harbor as I recall.

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Gulfstream on a Load Right bunk trailer. 2 axles, st215/7514 LRC tires, single 225 Yamaha. I have not weighed the boat but it handles fine on a couple of 70 mile trips to Winnipesauki. The brakes are surge type brakes which work fine. I did replace a broken brake line and installed new calipers, rotors, bearings, etc. when I bought it. We actually towed it home the day we bought it with the trailer brakes not working. Sorry I don't know the capacity of the axles but the current setup works fine for me. One note to be aware of-the Gulfstream has a 9'3" beam which requires a wide load permit. 40 states require a permit for anything over 8'6". I just realized this after 2 trips north. I didn't get stopped, but if you have an accident, the insurance co will refuse to pay. Hope this helps.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Bumpye said:
I have a 2003 Gulfstream on a Load Right bunk trailer. 2 axles, st215/7514 LRC tires, single 225 Yamaha. I have not weighed the boat but it handles fine on a couple of 70 mile trips to Winnipesauki. Sorry I don't know the capacity of the axles but the current setup works fine for me.

Thanks guys, yes I do have a MI permit for towing. Here you need to register truck, trailer, and boat separately but only $30 each per year. Bumpye does your boat have a hardtop? How many lugs on the wheels?

TonyD said:
Denko, what are you using in the rod holders there to troll with?

Tony D.

Tony those two shots are the same rods from different angles, both dipsy diver set-ups. The fore is my high braided line diver, a tekota 600LC on a 9'6" talora, the aft is my low wire line diver a daiwa 47LC on a 8' talora roller guide

TonyD

Reaction score
Thanks, Denko! What brand holder is that though, placed into the gunnel holder?

Tony D.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
TonyD said:
Thanks, Denko! What brand holder is that though, placed into the gunnel holder?

Tony D.
OK, they are long tube cradles from Cisco, a little co. out of Cleveland. Great craftsmanship and service!

Bumpye

Reaction score
Denko said:
Bumpye said:
I have a 2003 Gulfstream on a Load Right bunk trailer. 2 axles, st215/7514 LRC tires, single 225 Yamaha. I have not weighed the boat but it handles fine on a couple of 70 mile trips to Winnipesauki. Sorry I don't know the capacity of the axles but the current setup works fine for me.

Thanks guys, yes I do have a MI permit for towing. Here you need to register truck, trailer, and boat separately but only $30 each per year. Bumpye does your boat have a hardtop? How many lugs on the wheels?

TonyD said:

Tony D.

Tony those two shots are the same rods from different angles, both dipsy diver set-ups. The fore is my high braided line diver, a tekota 600LC on a 9'6" talora, the aft is my low wire line diver a daiwa 47LC on a 8' talora roller guide

Sorry for the late response. My boat does have a hardtop, 5 lugs on the wheels.

TonyD

Reaction score
TonyD said:

Tony D.

Tony those two shots are the same rods from different angles, both dipsy diver set-ups. The fore is my high braided line diver, a tekota 600LC on a 9'6" talora, the aft is my low wire line diver a daiwa 47LC on a 8' talora roller guide[/quote]

Oh sweet - thank you, Denko!

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 232 that I tow on a EZloader dual axle bunk trailer several times a year 300 miles each way to Lake Michigan for Salmon and my trailer works great, no issues. Salmon fishing was great this year.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Well the boat is finally on a new trailer! I ended up going with Owens and Sons and was able to have it towed up by a local marina that put a smaller brand new Grady on it for the trip. Took a bit to figure out the winch and bow stop position, but it really does fit like a glove. Still need to adjust safety chain. Now if I could just get work straightened out for a weekend fishing trip...
IfUHvbdl.jpg

RIkbYHTl.jpg

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Made the trip to Lake MI and back the other day, all I can say is this thing tows like a dream now. Money well spent!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks a lot like mine. The Owens brothers build a nice trailer. I'm on my 4th. Congratulations.