85 24 offshore transom question with video

peanutavalon

Reaction score
hi..I have a refundable deposit on this boat . I checked out the transom by tapping around with a small hammer listening for a thud sound indicating soft wood. Seems solid all around except for a few spots by the cap...Is this normal/dangerous/asking for trouble etc? The boat is probably the cleanest 85 I've ever seen and I know the original owner so I know it was taken care of. Take a listen to the video and let me know what you think....thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blUql8TzjOM

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It doesn't sound "horrible". But understand that it's ALWAYS worse than what it seems. Always. Meaning, the wet/soft wood will be further down the transom than what it sounds like. And... wood that is starting to rot never fixes itself. It's all fixable, though.

Punch53

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned if a wet transom is a deal breaker you will never be able to buy a used boat. Years ago the carpenter at my marina told me regarding my wood Egg Harbor-" There are two kinds of Eggs-Those with a rotted stem and those that had the stem replaced". I'm starting to feel that way about outboard transoms.

peanutavalon

Reaction score
Punch53 said:
As far as I'm concerned if a wet transom is a deal breaker you will never be able to buy a used boat. Years ago the carpenter at my marina told me regarding my wood Egg Harbor-" There are two kinds of Eggs-Those with a rotted stem and those that had the stem replaced". I'm starting to feel that way about outboard transoms.
thanks...im gonna go for it..it's the cleanest 85 I've ever seen. and its got good power..02 ox66 with les than 300 hrs always maintained. will post pics when the deals done.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Picked up a 1983 seafarer for a great price and am re-doing the transom. Just finished stripping out the old wood and sanding everything. Coosa board is in house as well as a bunch of West System epoxy. I figure it will be a good project. The boat is a really nice boat and I read that transoms were an issue, so I was prepared to do it. Good luck and enjoy!