Weather stripping or non foam double skidded tape source?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Voyager has what appears to be an EPDM extruded weather strip that is bonded to the plastic cabin hatch panels. When the hatch is closed, the weather strip seals the hatch joint so that water does not get into the cabin. The material looks very similar to Frost King V23 profile. The only issue is the Frost King weather strip is white. I need black (like what I already have) to match the black panel. The strip I have shrank and debonded.

To fix, I could:

- use a double sided tape to reattach the strip, but I can't find a tape that is not foam. The foam is too thick to fit into the joint. Does anyone know of a source that will hold up to exterior applications and isn't foam?

- replace the existing strip, but I can't find this profile in black.

- use adhesive, but I'm concerned I could damage the hatch plastic or destroy the strip if glues are not compatible... not to mention make a mess.

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: Weather stripping or non foam double skidded tape source

Take a look on Mcmaster Carr's website. I KNOW they have A LOT of foam - I've bought plenty from there, including some for my boats. They should have a good selection of double side tape, too. 3M makes excellent double side tape for outdoor use. I've used that, too - although the kind I've bought is "somewhat" foamy - but it's dense and very thin. Thin enough that I don't think it would affect anything in your application.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

Thanks Dennis. I have the thinnest 3m tape, but I still think it is too thick although I should try to compress it. Using carpet tape crossed my mind, but it is not easy to work with for more precise applications.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

This is the stuff I was thinking of. I had gotten a small roll of this from a guy who was doing a windshield replacement on my Suburban. I had to remove a windshield visor and he gave me the tape to help reattach it. I believe it's what is used for most auto trim pieces. It's about 1/32" - I am not squeezing it in the pic.

image.jpg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

I have the same tape. Amazing material.
The weather strip alone is 1/8" uncompressed. I have it on each side if the joint so collectively it is 1/4" uncompressed. I'm not sure if I can cram any more in there!
Another option might be to use the 3m tape on one side with the strip and remove to other side entirely.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

I'm not familiar with your deck hatch setup, but I'm having a hard time imagining why Grady (could a previous owner have done it?) felt the need to put weatherstripping on both sides. Seems like one side - just like pretty much every other hatch I've ever seen - would be just fine. I can't seem to find any fault with your idea of just putting the stripping on one side.

If the two "mating surfaces" that need to be sealed are flat (which is what I'm envisioning) then you have plenty of options of what profile of weatherstripping you want to use and go with just one piece of it on one surface or the other.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

I'll check it out and will likely go that route.
Thanks for the help!

Fishtales

Reaction score

I have a hard top so rain isn't a huge problem. AM light getting in was. I ended us using the soft side of Velcro on one side of the black hatch to fill the void. Did the job nicely and also keeps water out when I wash the helm (albeit not as much water as an open boat). Could be an option for you.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander

Hadn't thought of that one. Good to know!