Grady Center Console to Walkaround?

NHAngler

Reaction score
Currently have a 180 and use it for fishing. Style of fishing definatley uses the advantage of a center console. However, I have always wanted a 208 or even a 226/228 and have a side thought of one of these being my next boat. I have fished out of many walkarounds but owning one is quite different.

There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both and some things might even be a direct contradiction in either direction. I'm sure the list can be long. My desire for one relates to the shelter and storage. My concerns would be regularly launching / loading as I trailer my boats and the agility and accessibilty that a center console provides.

Hoping to hear from anyone that has made the switch and cares to comment on this topic?

Had someone that frequently fishes with me in my 180 comment that he prefers fishing from my 180 more than the 208 that he also fishes from. I'm not ready to upgrade yet so not urgent but did make me stop and think about my future vessels.

seasick

Reaction score
NHAngler said:
Currently have a 180 and use it for fishing. Style of fishing definatley uses the advantage of a center console. However, I have always wanted a 208 or even a 226/228 and have a side thought of one of these being my next boat. I have fished out of many walkarounds but owning one is quite different.

There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to both and some things might even be a direct contradiction in either direction. I'm sure the list can be long. My desire for one relates to the shelter and storage. My concerns would be regularly launching / loading as I trailer my boats and the agility and accessibilty that a center console provides.

Hoping to hear from anyone that has made the switch and cares to comment on this topic?

Had someone that frequently fishes with me in my 180 comment that he prefers fishing from my 180 more than the 208 that he also fishes from. I'm not ready to upgrade yet so not urgent but did make me stop and think about my future vessels.

I have a 208. Based on my experience on CCs (not that I owned one) here are my opinions.
If you are more hard core fisherman, the CC is a much better option. Although the 208 is a walkaround, walking around it is dicey at best especially if it has a Bimini and gunnel mounted things like antennas.
You can't really fish off the forward deck and you can't easily walk a fish around either. You can probably fish with more people on the CC.

On the up side, the 208 offer better protection from the weather and seas. It has more storage options and the cabin is handy for changing in and out of bathing suits.
Fishing capacity maxes out at 3 people, although I have fished 4, it is crowded.

A cabin may be non-negotiable to a spouse:) You can have a porta potty on both but there is more room in the 208 .

Without added curtains and canvas, you will be more comfortable in the 208 in nasty/cold weather. With full curtains on the 208, you can tolerate a lot harsher weather.

In summary, the key takeaway is that a 208 Walkaround is not really 'walkaroundable' practically speaking.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with the previous post. For overall fishing accessibility, a cc is just better independent of size. The walkaround offers bow accessibility that in my opinion is much better than the larger express models. It offers the place to get into to change use a bathroom and store more. As the walks get bigger you can overnight, but not as comfortable as an express. There are pros/cons for each design. It really comes down to your use case and the amenities you want. If the cabin is the place you want to spend your time or if you are overnighting - especially more than a couple of days; look to the expresses. If you are a hardcore fisherman, don't mind the elements as much or a fair weather boater the cc is probably the best play. The walkaround is tweener to me. Personally, I like the versatility but its not for everyone.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a 208. Love it for the storage. I do find that it is not as nice as a 234 foot center console when going out for a sunset cruise with a few other couples. Running a trolling motor with a 208 is also a bit dicey because the bow is so high.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I have had , in this order, a Grady 205 overnighter, a Grady 226 Seafarer, and now a Fisherman 180. My 180 was purchased new last year and I traded my 226 in on it. The previous comments I agree with, but here are a few more that might help you: the 20 footer was a great boat but the cockpit area was just a bit too small. The cockpit area on the 226 was just enough bigger to be perfect. I did have a hardtop with curtains on both the 20 and 22 and there were times I was glad I did. However, to some degree this depends on where and when you use the boat. If you are in a more northern area such as New Hampshire, I would get the top and curtains but the expense exceeds the need farther south such as Virginia. I found the biggest advantage to the hardtop was I had something solid to hang onto when moving forward. Without the top you can hang onto the side window surround but this is not designed for that purpose. When I went out the inlet to open ocean, nothing beats the protection of a top with curtains. Even on a nice day you will face the possibility of spray. Again, getting back to where your use is, if you are mostly inshore or back bay you may find a 22 or even a 20 is more than you really need. If you are in creeks where shallower water abounds a 180 might be just the ticket. There is also the obvious benefit of a porta potty on the two bigger boats and you can leave your rods onboard in a locked cabin.

In my case I limit myself to back bay fishing and my 22, while a great boat, was too big and used too much gas to justify keeping it for that purpose only. If I want to go outside there are several really good charters for a reasonable price. In summary, if you're going to go bigger I'd recommend the 22. If cost is a factor, maybe go back a couple of years to get the price close to a newer 20. Consider where you'll be using your new purchase and recognize that there really is no such thing as "the perfect boat" - only what gives you most of what you want at the time you buy it.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoyment with it.

L.R.

Reaction score
Ask yourself....When in a Center Console,Do You or anyone with You Fish from the Front of the Boat?? I had a C.C. for 15 yrs. and never did Fish from the front of the Boat. HAve had a 226 Seafarer for the last 3 yrs.Do I miss My C.C. Nope...Except for the Ride...The 226 has Tons of Deck Space,I can finally Sit down while driving the Boat,Sit down to relax,Trolling... Have a full enclosure,No Wind ,when it's cold,I just turn on My Mr. Buddy Heater..One draw back with the Enclosure when it's up...2 people inside ,unless someone gets in the Cabin..My C.C. ,I was standing all day long. That's My opinion on it...And You know how opinions are! :lol:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Well said L.R.

I owned a 20' CC and a 228. You nailed it!

Of course, for the past 7 years, I've been enjoying my 330 Express and rarely look back to life in my earlier boats!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My last 3 boats were cuddy's. First was a Trophy 20', next Seaswirl Striper 23', now the Grady 228 22'. The last two had/have hardtops and full enclosure, the Trophy had bimini with full enclosure. Been out in mine in nasty or cold weather and have been comfortable.

I see guys suit up in rainsuits on sunny days just to go out and fish on a CC to stay dry, just not for me. I cruise out in comfort behind the windshield sitting down and dry. The storage is good with the cuddy, versus limited on a CC. I fish South Carolina and can just drop the curtains and enjoy the shade of the hardtop with a breeze. I drift fish so everything happens in the cockpit, which is nice in the 228. When not fishing, the 228 is a nice cruising platform, very comfortable for the wife and I and another couple.

All in how and where you plan to use your boat. Very happy with a cuddy for my style of fishing or cruising.

Firenailer

Reaction score
I'm on my second 208 and have been loving them for 21 years now. We dock bow forward at my marina so I guess I'm pretty used to walking around the Cuddy and find it fine. I've never really enjoyed CC boats as you're just so much more exposed to the weather and I've never found a very comfortable spot on one.
The biggest plus on a CC is with 2 guys you both have your own end and casting is a bit easier, on the Cuddy you each take a side although I don't mind walking up front to fan cast at times, and even when bait fishing can comfortably sit up there too.

On the 208 you have great storage, comfortable helm seating in the shade under the Bimini, and behind the curtains when it's snotty. And while it's not the Hilton, the Cuddy isn't a bad spot to pass a little time when your out watching the fireworks with a lady friend! :)

NHAngler

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. As far as my use, it is nearly 100% for fishing. I trailer my boats so that I can change things up a lot. I fish in big lakes like lake Champlain trolling for salmon and lake trout I also fish in ocean bays, tidal flats, and rivers for striped bass, bluefish, and flounder. A few trips a year to cape cod for a variety of different species. ....and finally when the weather is right, I will venture up to 40 miles offshore for ground fish. I also buy my tuna permit every year and make some half hearted attempts for them with spinning and heavy gear.

So as you see, lots of caring, trolling, drifting, etc. I'm a real confusing mess. Ha ha.

I will say that I love my 180 and since I trailer, I see myself eventually either going only to a 209 or a 208 if I ever upgrade. The other thought is to keep two boats.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I catch a good bit of dolphin, yellowtail, Mangrove snapper and more in my 228. When we night fish in the Keys for yellowtail one of the kids usually makes their way to the bow to fish.

The cockpit space behind the helm is often larger on a walk than a CC from the boats I have been on. I know there are trade offs in boat styles but to me the smaller walkarounds are the SUV of the boating world. For trolling you cant beat them in my opinion. For bottom fishing I can see the CC getting the nod.

With all that said, would I rather go out and come back in a 20-22 CC or a walk especially if there is weather on top of me? I chose the walk 12 times out of 10. There is more to fishing than wetting the line and the distance between the ramp and your honey hole can and will get bad. You will get caught in weather.

The other side is I take my walkaround to far off places to explore and fish. We went to Bimini this summer. Left Key Largo at 7AM with a buddy boat. Radar showed a small line of rain showers between us and Bimini. We went right through it and my crew and I were dry. That scenario plays out differently in a 20-22 CC. If you like the CC layout then great. It's not for me, but I want to use my boat to fish, explore, do, see and be.