Surface mount electronics on a 1999 300 marlin

Captcraig

Reaction score
Looking at surface mounting 2 new garmin 12 inch gps depth sounder screens on my 1999 300 marlin. Has anybody done this. pros and cons? Should I use starboard material to cover old opening. Any pictures would be appreciated. Thanks CRAIG

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen it done (remove the bi fold radio box doors and install. It takes planning but can be done. Another option is to check the dimensions of the stock flush mount cover from GW. Maybe you can get one and modify it if needed. Maybe have a glass guy make one?

Scott D

Reaction score
Instead of using starboard, I used abs plastic about 3/16” thick that looks like carbon fiber. It’s a material that’s widely used by many boat manufacturers.

I used it for both the new switch panel and to flush mount the electronics. It takes a damn long time to hand cut all those switch openings!

Something like this material:

http://shop.decorativeplasticsheets...oat-Instrument-Panels-1-16-1-8-3-16-CF101.htm

Installed on my boat:

image.php

Captcraig

Reaction score
Scott D said:
Instead of using starboard, I used abs plastic about 3/16” thick that looks like carbon fiber. It’s a material that’s widely used by many boat manufacturers.

I used it for both the new switch panel and to flush mount the electronics. It takes a damn long time to hand cut all those switch openings!

Something like this material:

http://shop.decorativeplasticsheets...oat-Instrument-Panels-1-16-1-8-3-16-CF101.htm

Installed on my boat:

image.php
Thanks for the pictures Scott. Looks great.

Fishtales

Reaction score
that looks great. nice job...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Scott D said:
Installed on my boat:

image.php

Looks great. Thinking of doing it to my 265 express.
Questions for Scott D;

Do you miss not having that space for "throw it in the dash stuff.. so it doesn't fall all over the deck..."?
Coming from a previous boat with a flat open dash, I was really enjoying not having a bag of potato chips all over the deck.

How are those new Suzukis?

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I was able to install a 12 inch and a nine inch Simrad MFDs on my 04 Marlin two years ago. There didn't seem to be enough room to go any bigger.

Scott D

Reaction score
Sorry I missed this question...

No I don’t miss the space. The Marlin has so much assorted storage space around the helm it’s crazy. The port and starboard cubbies on the sides, the cubby just inside the cabin, the port overhead electronics box is empty etc.

The Suzuki 300’s are incredible engines. I’ve had 5 different 300’s over the years and put about 1500 hours total. Not a warranty claim. They are pretty bulletproof. Cruise 26-34 mph at 1.3-1.5 mpg. WOT is about 46.

Any questions Landsdusky@optonline.net

Scott

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
GEII said:
I was able to install a 12 inch and a nine inch Simrad MFDs on my 04 Marlin two years ago. There didn't seem to be enough room to go any bigger.

Not sure if there is a difference between an 04 and an 08 or even the 99, but I doubt it. I may depend on manufacturer. Scott D's dash looks nice.

Stock from Grady. Two 12'' Furuno MFDs.

dQI3Untl.jpg

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed two 12" Raymarine Axiom units on my 2004 265, so a similar arrangement as yours, it appears, covering the original electronics box. I used 1/2" Starboard that matches the Grady color. I made a template and sent to FinAddict in NC since they have the Grady matching Starboard. They did a great job.

Attachments

• Grady Axiom .jpg
    Grady Axiom .jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 419

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For whatever reason the pic uploaded distorted. I'll try it as an attachment

Attachments

• Axiom units installed.jpg
    Axiom units installed.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 415

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Missed post , but did you get it done? Will be installing new electronics on my Marlin .
Thinking of 12” axiom pro and 2 9” axioms do you have any pics
Thanks