New Suzukis on 1989 Sailfish?

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ive got a 1989 Saifish 252 G. Twin 2002 150 Yamaha HPDI'S on the bracket right now.
I have redone a lot on this boat and feel like I have it set up nicely for me. Motors are 2002 150's, they have around 1500 hours. Blew a piston on one and had to rebuild the power head, at the time I didnt want to spend the money on a repower. I went ahead and had both powerheads rebuit, figured the other was due and wanted to feel confident about both motors.

Now i'm having second thoughts :bang and seriously thinking about twin 175 suzuki 4 strokes (DF175), with fy by wire. Ive never owned a NEW motor, and it might be nice to do, before its too late lol. I have read great reviews of these motors,

The twin hpdi 150 performance was fine, quick plane, top speed around 40 MPH, cruise comfortably at 33 at 4400 rpm, getting around 1.75 mpg.
The DF175 suzukis would maybe perform the same at a lower rpm, and not cost much more than DF150's at the same weight. Hope to see better fuel economy too.

I know the 4 strokes would add about 100 lbs to the bracket, not sure if thats a concern. But i just drained my original gradydrive bracket and took out about 25 galons of water without noticing much difference as far as how far down the stern sat. I hadn't drained or resealed the bracket for a couple years. I wil also loose the weight of 2 tanks of oil from the transom area.

I had the old grady drive repainted when I got the boat about 4 years ago, but would like to put a new one on while doing repower. Don't know,maybe a newer one might be a little lighter? Any reccomendations on a new bracket?

Just looking for feedback. What say you? Anyone put 4 strokes on their old sailfish?

Thanks,
Dave

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I repowered my 1989 Sailfish 252G 13 years ago with twin 200 HP Yamaha 3.3 liter four stroke V6s.

I replaced the original heavy Grady drive bracket with a new lighter custom made aluminum engine bracket made by Armstrong Nautical Products. The floatations chamber of the new bracket was much wider and deeper than the original Grady drive, providing additional buoyancy to counteract the additional weight of the new four stroke outboards.

Even though each of the new Yamaha V6s weighed 150 more than the 1989 Johnson 200 HP two stoke outboards they replaced, wiith the new engine bracket's additional buoyancy and lighter weight . . . the boat sits in the EXACT same depth in the water as before the repowered.

Regarding my 1989 Sailfish 252 G, I went from "like" to "love" of this boat after re powering with fuel injected four strokes.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 89. Good info. The new Suzuki DF150 and DF175 are listed at around 531 lbs, where the hpdi’s are 468lbs, so they would be about 130 extra lbs total. I would have the dealer install new motors. New bracket- maybe have it installed at a fiberglass shop? Who did your re-Power and bracket? Dealer?
More floatation at the stern would be a bonus. I looked at Armstrong website, how did you come up with the design for yours? Think they still have the demensions? Do you remember the cost?
Also thinking about getting an auto pilot installed at the same time.
Going to put the hpdi’s up for sale while they are still on the boat. Hopefully get back what I paid to have them rebuilt.
Thanks a lot,
Dave

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A comment/question about your bracket. Does it have an access port in the top like the newer brackets? When I bought my 228, previous owner had put a Pilates ball in the bracket and inflated it. Theory behind it is if the seal, screws, drain let's water in, water can't fill up bracket if there is no room for it. Actually made great sense. I deflated it and flushed out my bracket after I bought the boat, to rinse any saltwater out since she's primarily a fresh water boat now, and put it back in.

25 gals is a lot of water and unnecessary weight to be carrying around. Even if you go with a new bracket, might consider adding the ball, it sure can't hurt.

Just a thought.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dstarok said:
Thanks for the reply 89. Good info. The new Suzuki DF150 and DF175 are listed at around 531 lbs, where the hpdi’s are 468lbs, so they would be about 130 extra lbs total. I would have the dealer install new motors. New bracket- maybe have it installed at a fiberglass shop? Who did your re-Power and bracket? Dealer?
More floatation at the stern would be a bonus. I looked at Armstrong website, how did you come up with the design for yours? Think they still have the demensions? Do you remember the cost?
Going to put the hpdi’s up for sale while they are still on the boat. Hopefully get back what I paid to have them rebuilt.
Thanks a lot,
Dave

I had my Yamaha dealer pull off the old Grady drive and instal the new Armstrong bracket. Dealer also did fiberglass work filling in the old Grady drive holes. The Armstrong bracket cost about $4,000 (keep in mind that was 13 years ago).

Regarding the design, I made the new Armstrong bracket as wide and as deep as possible to maximize bouyancy. Armstrong has probably made thousands of brackets and they are very knowledgeable. If you call Armstrong , I'm sure they would help you out.

With some of the newer Suzuki four strokes being relatively light, you might get away without a new bracket. It's a judgement call. In my case, I definitely needed to upgrade the bracket with my repower, due to the weight and engine spacing associated with my Yamaha F200 3.3 liter V6s.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dstarok said:
Thanks a lot,
Dave

If repowering, you might want to consider twin 200 HP outboards. It's a heavy boat and you can never have too much horsepower.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dstarok said:
Thanks a lot,
Dave

Here is photo of my 1989 Grady White Sailfish after being upgraded with the new Armstrong bracket and four stroke 200 HP outboards.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,422

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey 8925400, what size props are you running?

JVT

Reaction score
The new Yamaha 200 hp are in-line 4's and weigh 489 lbs. I have the same boat and if I were to repower (from OX-66 200's) that is what I would go with. They have the same mounting centers as the OX-66 and HPDI's and you can get either mechanical or digital.

And I love that Armstrong bracket. I just had my Grady bracket repainted last year with Awlgrip and it looks brand new, but its still the older and heavier bracket that leaks like a sieve. I do have a pump with a check valve inside the bracket to remove the water.

bbal08

Reaction score
You might research the weights some more. Suzuki revised their listed weights a while back to include fluids and props. The previous and relevant weight for a 20" 150 (same as 175) was 485 lbs.

Need to determine if props, lower unit oil and injection oil tanks are included in current setup to normalize the comparison.

The inline 4 Zukes have tons of torque and sip fuel. Good luck on your re-power.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dstarok said:
Hey 8925400, what size props are you running?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I haven't logged into this forum for awhile.
When I repowered the boat in 2004 with the 3.3 liter 200 HP V6's, the dealer installed stainless steel 14-1/4 Inch dia. X 18 inch props. Props have ventilation holes at the front edge of the hub. These props perform very well. WOT is 6,000 RPM at 43 mph. 27 mph cruise at 4,000 RPM.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks. If anyone is interested, I repowered with Suzuki DF200AP. The fly by wire is awesome! I’m seeing much better fuel economy so far, getting about 2.25 MPG at cruise speed of 30 mph. Trolling speed mpg’s are doubled from about 1 mpg to 2mpg. I would say average mpg improvement of about 30%. Top speed is around 45 at 6000 rpm, cruise 4300 rpm 30 mpg 2.2 mpg. So my 200 gallons lasts like 260 gallons would have! I’m just getting to 10 hours, but so far it’s awesome. Lots of torque, great hole shot, very pleased I went with the 200’s. Weight doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, she’s sitting maybe 1” lower in the stern. And pretty quite too.
Dave

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
dstarok said:
Thanks. If anyone is interested, I repowered with Suzuki DF200AP. The fly by wire is awesome! I’m seeing much better fuel economy so far, getting about 2.25 MPG at cruise speed of 30 mph. Trolling speed mpg’s are doubled from about 1 mpg to 2mpg. I would say average mpg improvement of about 30%. Top speed is around 45 at 6000 rpm, cruise 4300 rpm 30 mpg 2.2 mpg. So my 200 gallons lasts like 260 gallons would have! I’m just getting to 10 hours, but so far it’s awesome. Lots of torque, great hole shot, very pleased I went with the 200’s. Weight doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, she’s sitting maybe 1” lower in the stern. And pretty quite too.
Dave

Thanks for that report. I'm hoping to repower my 265 with DF200APs

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dstarok said:
Dave
Yes, I am interested. My 2004 Yamaha 200 HP V6s are now 14 years old and I have been considering repowering with a pair of the Suzuki DF200A 4 cylinder outboards . . . . but was concerned about going from the larger displacement of the V6s to the smaller displacement 4 cyl Suzukis. Fully loaded, the 25 GW Sailfish is a heavy boat. Was concerned about hole shot with the 4 cylinder Suzukis. Keep posting on your experience with these new DF200A Suzukis ,

Reactions: Smoothsailing

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
dstarok said:
Dave

Thanks for the update. Sounds like some good numbers.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sounds good on the repower! I was going to suggest the 4 cylinder Yamaha 200s. I have heard great things about Suzuki. Somebody here once said new motors equals new boat. Its great bringing a boat back to life.

KY Grady, I didn't find a pilates ball in my bracket but I found a 20 something year old pilates instructor curled up in there . ;-). That's a good idea on the ball thing.

WOOF

Reaction score
Great to see the insight. I am in the midst of repowering my 232G Gulfstream (1988) with twin 175 Zuk's. Had water in the bracket as well which is being drained at the moment and will be re-sealed. Boat will be back in the water in the next two days. At that point if it seems to be sitting a bit low I will move the batteries forward to offset the additional weight. First attempt with the props will be to run 15 1/4*19.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have about 20 hours on the new motors now and could be happier (unless someone else payed for them :lol: ) Don’t worry about the power, there is plenty for me anyway. Hole shot is fine, going from the 2 stroke 150 HPDI’s to the DF 200 AP there is so much more power, especially when accelerating from cruise speed to WOT. The fly by wire is great, really glad I opted for that. I also added the Garmin compact reactor autopilot. Very easy to control speed, nice when trolling, when I hook a fish I can put one motor in neutral, have the other one idle forward and engage the autopilot and it keeps everything straight behind the boat. You’re going to love it.