Zinc Help

FISHTALESSC

Reaction score
I know this is bad, some things go overlooked. Anyone have the dimensions or a number for the grounding plate/zinc on the bottom of a Marlin 28. This is what is left of mine

Attachments

• 20171026_151059.jpg
    20171026_151059.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 932

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I do not have it, but here are two ideas that might help you figure it out...

1) Try your parts manual (download it if need be). Although, truth be told, I've never looked for an anode (they're called anodes, FYI) in a parts manual.

2) It looks like enough of it is intact to get a measurement since they are symmetrical.

FISHTALESSC

Reaction score
thanks Dennis, I didnt find any info on the anode/zinc in the owners manual. I guess ill have to take some measurements next time I go to the boat. :hmm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I should have said "since IT IS symmetrical" - meaning the distance from the screw hole to the top and left edge will be the same on the right side. BUT... the most important thing is the screw hole center-to-center measurement, right? Can't hurt to go bigger, can it?

Oh... #3: Just call a dealer or contact Grady.

seasick

Reaction score
Shape is not critical. Take a look at the following site as an example of what will work. Measure the hole spacing and you might find a match. If not, you will see zincs with slots for mounting.
http://www.boatzincs.com/hull_bolt-on.html
I recommend something about the same size, a bit larger is probably better than smaller but if you have had yours for a long time and it still has about half of its meat, than you don't need a significant;y bigger one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
where was that zinc located? I didn't know there was one on the boat....

FISHTALESSC

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
where was that zinc located? I didn't know there was one on the boat....

Directly under the boat just past the aft pick up's for livewell and washdown pump on my boat. Going to the boat tomorrow and taking some measurements. Luckily I work for a Marine Supply company save $$

Fishtales

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't believe I have one on my 06 Marlin. I've painted the bottom a few times and would have noticed it.

tx

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From the photo it looks like that is a grounding plate made by GUEST. Not a zinc You can see the GUEST writing on it. I don't think GUEST ever made zincs. Grounding plates were used with LORAN installations.

seasick

Reaction score
8925400 said:
From the photo it looks like that is a grounding plate made by GUEST. Not a zinc You can see the GUEST writing on it. I don't think GUEST ever made zincs. Grounding plates were used with LORAN installations.
Learn something new every day!

FISHTALESSC

Reaction score
8925400 said:

That's exactly what it was used for after talking with some guys at the yard. Learn something new all the time even had a old loran ground wire running to the stud on the inside of the hull.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Funny... I was looking at that picture on my (old) phone and couldn't make out the writing. BUT it did strike me as strange that it was an odd-looking green color. At the time, I thought it was probably just my phone's screen. But now that I'm on a laptop, I can see the words, too.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up.... Learned something.