What to buy?

Gradylover

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello everyone -

I'm new to the site but not Grady's. I'm very fortunate to have grown up with 2 Grady's- 1984 Offshore 24 & 1990 Tournament 19. My father and I were avid fisherman and when we lived in the SF Bay Area, we went bay and Ocean fishing almost every weekend. Life moved on and we moved more inland and then shortly after my father passed away. I inherited the boats and I would fish, but not like I did when I was younger. Then I had a son who's now 11 and loves to fish. We do a lot of lake fishing and once in a while, we go back to the SF Bay Area to fish in the bay. Since we aren't able to use the big boat as often, it's just not feasible to keep both boats.

My dilemma is that I don't want to give up having the option of having a larger boat when I want to hit the bay or open waters. Even though the smaller boat is a Grady, there's something to be said about having a larger boat for the open waters, not to mention the room to fish. I've been looking at selling the small boat too and buying a new Seafarer-228 or Adventure 208 as a replacement to both boats. I'm leaning towards the Seafarer because it's a nice all around boat, has all the features I'm looking for and I think is a good compromise for both ocean, bay and lake fishing. It also has a lot of room. I would be getting the hardtop and my gut is that the Seafarer is a little bit big for the lakes. Also, we do a lot of trolling and black bass fishing and I would need an electric trolling motor. I want to get the bow pulpit and there would be no room for a trolling motor. Even if I didn't get the bow pulpit, there still isn't much room for a trolling motor and anchor setup. On my Tournament, I made a custom platform out of teak that holds both the anchor and trolling motor. I'm not sure what to do and I'm wondering if anyone here has put a trolling motor on their Seafarer or have a bow pulpit with a trolling motor on the bow?

Also, for those of you who have either an Adventure 208 or Seafarer 228, how would you rate the fishing room?
Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.

seasick

Reaction score
Gradylover said:
Hello everyone -

I'm new to the site but not Grady's. I'm very fortunate to have grown up with 2 Grady's- 1984 Offshore 24 & 1990 Tournament 19. My father and I were avid fisherman and when we lived in the SF Bay Area, we went bay and Ocean fishing almost every weekend. Life moved on and we moved more inland and then shortly after my father passed away. I inherited the boats and I would fish, but not like I did when I was younger. Then I had a son who's now 11 and loves to fish. We do a lot of lake fishing and once in a while, we go back to the SF Bay Area to fish in the bay. Since we aren't able to use the big boat as often, it's just not feasible to keep both boats.

My dilemma is that I don't want to give up having the option of having a larger boat when I want to hit the bay or open waters. Even though the smaller boat is a Grady, there's something to be said about having a larger boat for the open waters, not to mention the room to fish. I've been looking at selling the small boat too and buying a new Seafarer-228 or Adventure 208 as a replacement to both boats. I'm leaning towards the Seafarer because it's a nice all around boat, has all the features I'm looking for and I think is a good compromise for both ocean, bay and lake fishing. It also has a lot of room. I would be getting the hardtop and my gut is that the Seafarer is a little bit big for the lakes. Also, we do a lot of trolling and black bass fishing and I would need an electric trolling motor. I want to get the bow pulpit and there would be no room for a trolling motor. Even if I didn't get the bow pulpit, there still isn't much room for a trolling motor and anchor setup. On my Tournament, I made a custom platform out of teak that holds both the anchor and trolling motor. I'm not sure what to do and I'm wondering if anyone here has put a trolling motor on their Seafarer or have a bow pulpit with a trolling motor on the bow?

Also, for those of you who have either an Adventure 208 or Seafarer 228, how would you rate the fishing room?
Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.
208 fishing room: Fine for 2, tight but doable for 3. Too crowded for more.
Definitely more space on the 228. I think the cabin is pretty much the same on both. The extra length shows up in the deck. 228 weighs about 600 pounds more. In theory it would be more stable in seas. The hull year should be a consideration too.

ttles714

Reaction score
The seafarer has a cabin that is a little more user friendly and easier to get in and out of .. along with a bigger back deck ... the length of the hull may ride better also ... I had a 204 and a 240 ... the 240 had a much much better ride in Barnegat Bay then the 204 did . I had a friend who was in the same situation as you are now .. He wanted a 20 ... then started looking at a 22 Seafarer ... this was 2 years ago .. He was a First time boater and was afraid of going "Too Big" .. I found for him and convinced convinced him to go with a Voyager 24 foot Grady with the Euro Transom swim platform ... He has never been happier .. Again, He originally want something smaller and easier to handle .. Boats shrink real fast !!!! If you can pilot a 20 , you can pilot a 24 !!! I went from a twin 240 offshore to a twin Marlin 300 ... No big deal .. I love the Marlin !!! Maybe the best all around boat on the water.. I can get into 2 feet of water at Tices Shoal or Feel safe and fairly comfortable in 3-5 outside ( 3-5 or 4-6 .. Both Suck ) lol but the boat handles well in those ..!!!!.. BTW sea V2 is the only way to go !

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If you are buying new, your options for a walk around are either the 20, 22, 23 or 30. There is no longer a 24 footer made. Since you trailer a bunch the beamy 23 is sort of out unless you get permits and such. So, you are down to a 22 or 20 when buying new.

If buying new , go with the 228. I love mine but I also have my sights set on a Marlin one day. I mainly use my Seafarer on the lake for cruising and water sports. Once you get above the 192 Suze Grady, my opinion only, it seems putting a trolling motor on it to Bass fish seems less than ideal. Unlike the 192 which I owned for years, the 228 has more windage with the hard top and such.

It may not be the best Bass fishing platform. Now, I am clueless about what it takes to do the fishing you do. If you need to troll slow why not not use the trolling motor on the stern?

Anyway, if I was in the market for a new 22 walk around I would buy the 228 in a heartbeat. If you go used , a 24 footer journey would be my next choice.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Reading your post, you know what you want. I'd to the 228 as well. It isn't overly excessive for lake fishing and since your looking for a boat that you can enjoy in fresh and saltwater, you need to compromise. If saltwater only, I'd go bigger; if fresh and enough room the 20 likely is enough. For a little of both the 228 is the ticket in my book.

Gradylover

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've pretty much decided on the Seafarer. It's probably going to suite me the best. Though my wife doesn't see the benefit in spending almost 25k more for 2 extra feet, she's behind me on this, so I'm over the hurdle. Right now with a 24 and 19 Grady, I got the best of both worlds for ocean /lake fishing and I think the best compromise is the Seafarer. I have decided against the electric trolling motor - there isn't much room on the bow and I don't want to modify the railing on a brand new Grady. I'm going to get a kicker motor for my trolling and I'll worry about my black bass fishing at a later time.

Can anyone who has the Seafarer and a kicker motor, chime in on how you have it setup? (ie fuel hookup, mounting, steering control, etc)? My understanding from Grady is the swim platform has predrilled holes for a kicker motor bracket. Also, I've read on tying the steering with a Panther steering linkage or electric steering. I'm leaning towards a mechanical linkage like the Panther but I'm curious how that works with tilting the kicker and outboard. Does one affect the other? Would I be able to keep the kicker in the tilted up position all the time when not in use or will it affect the outboard?

Thanks for all the help.