Anchor Windlass

ttles714

Reaction score
I believe my 2007 marlin was factory equipped with a Lewmar 700 power down windlass... I never saw any value in a power down windlass .. to the point where it seams stupid to me ... Can anyone tell me why I am wrong ... and if not, Why would Grady White install this type of windlass on a boat . ??

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Power down falls in a straight line, with the anchor always at the bottom. In free fall, the chain often falls faster than the anchor, because the flat surface areas of the anchor cause it to sail, particularly with light weight anchors, like Fortress. This can cause fouled anchors, and poor sets, especially in deeper water. I don't know the numbers(Lewmar probably does), but if 90% of the anchor drops by the rec boating community are in less than 20 feet of water, power down is not a problem.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I agree that "power down" is worthless.
I installed a Lewmar Pro-fish 700 (free fall) on my boat years ago and love it.

Thing is, when you are anchoring most of the time you are going to be in neutral, and therefore the boat is going to be drifting back with the wind/current as the anchor falls, thereby negating the "sailing anchor" effect. Besides, the anchor/chair/rode doesn't fall THAT fast "into a ball", it is slowed by the friction of it coming up through the locker, around the gypsy, and out over the pulpit/roller while falling.
In fact, I (most guys?) usually power back in reverse while the anchor is falling in order to stretch out the anchor chain to ensure the blades get a good bite when they hit the bottom.

Only issue with this (and any) windlass is you have to remember to cleat it off once the anchor bites. DO NOT allow the windlass to hold the boat at anchor without cleating it off!
Trust me on this because I learned the hard way....although I really KNEW this before, I got lazy and "just left it once" and subsequently had to have my unit rebuilt due to a broken internal frame around the gears...it's just not built to handle that stress, especially when there are wakes and/or heavy seas.

ttles714

Reaction score
the only company that says you do not have to cleat off is Good Automatic Windlass.. I have had these on two different boats and never cleated off.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
ttles714 said:
the only company that says you do not have to cleat off is Good Automatic Windlass.. I have had these on two different boats and never cleated off.

Well to each his own, but personally, I'd rather be inconvenienced once in a while because I have to cleat it off when anchored, but still get to have a great looking, (and great performing) unit like this mounted up on my bow:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... tion=click

instead of this ugly unit (no offense, but it really IS UGLY!) that "doesn't need to be cleated off" (although if that is true why do they have a built in cleat bar on the unit?):
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/ ... tion=click

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Which model "700" is it? They do make different versions.

Maybe it's a price-thing, as well? I've never really researched it, but I always thought that power-down models were less expensive (for the most part)?

Len, you're right that Good windlasses will never win any beauty awards - no question about it. But they do have an excellent reputation for being very reliable and long lasting. They also have an excellent service department for questions and rebuilds/repairs. Another positive is that this is the only thing they do and they are made right here in the USA - although it is in New Jersey... :mrgreen:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Years ago, Good windlasses were rode only, no chain gypsy. They definitely have chain models now, but make sure that you get the model that you want, especially if buying used.

ttles714

Reaction score
The two units I had were the F850's... Chain and Rope... I did not mind the look of it .. Pretty is not always better and I really never thought of it as ugly.. .. My boat now has a Lewmar that is a Vertical type (700) with power down ... I am not a fan of power down and was hoping I could convert it.. Right now , unless a steal comes along, that windlass will stay !! On another note the most troublesome windlass i ever owned was the horizon .. I gave up fixing the original one I had on the boat, and in figuring ease of installation, I purchased a brand new one of the same model .. They both were junk and always troublesome ..

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would always cleat it off. I really don't care about looks, just want it to work when called upon. I think GW uses Lewmar as it is decent quality, appropriately sized and good enough for the vast majority of their customers.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
ttles714 said:
.... My boat now has a Lewmar that is a Vertical type (700) with power down ... I am not a fan of power down and was hoping I could convert it....

From the Lewmar website FAQ section located here:
http://www.lewmar.com/taxonomy/term/84

Can I drop the anchor without having to power it down?
Yes, all Lewmar windlasses have a manual free fall function as standard. To free fall the anchor, you simply manually undo the top nut half a turn. This releases the gypsy allowing it to free wheel. You can control the speed or stop the descent by re-tightening the top nut. Some of the larger windlasses with brake bands fitted work slightly differently. Please consult the manual for free fall operation.

Also, I found this online, although I'm not really sure if it is applicable to your unit?
http://www.boatersland.com/lew66000616.html