Fishermen: Good (And Readily Available ) Reel Lube?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I let time slip away from me and I don't have time mail order a good reel lube. What would you recommend that is EASILY found in chain hardware stores / Lowes / Home Depot / Ace that is a light weight reel lube to get things ready for a trip? The only thing I can think of right now would be 3-In-One or Break Free. Thank you, gents. Sorry, I know this is a boating forum, but someone on here will have the answer. Hot Ajax

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Whatever you do, don't use 3-in-one oil or any other thin product. They are poor lubricants and don't contain anti-corrosion additives. When I moved back to Florida in 2008, I had a local shop service several of my reels. I asked him what he used and he told me 3-in-one "Which is as good as anything else". After a year the gears were grinding and needed to be replaced.

I now use Rick's Reel Service in Masaryktown FL (http://www.ricksreelservice.com/. He has made sort of a science of repairing reels. We have become pretty good friends over the years and he has turned me on to Corrosion X products. He cleans everything inside and out with Corrosion X lubricant and uses Corrosion X grease on the gears. He used to use Yamalube Marine grease, but it may be too viscous for colder climates.

I get my reels cleaned and serviced every year or two depending on how much usage they get. Between services, I just rinse them off, dry them with a cloth, and spay them with Corrosion X. I'll use a drop of Corrosion X Reel Lube on the spinning reel bail rollers, handles, and any external moving parts. I have reels dating back to the '70's that are still running great. Had to replace a few parts of course.

That being said, I previously used Penn Reel Lubricant and had pretty good luck with it over the years.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm also a believer in Corrosion X products. The HD is good for battery connections, but plain Corrosion X for reel bearings works on my spinners and Avets. I've got a couple 5 gallon buckets of reels to service.

Fishtales

Reaction score
megabytes said:
I have always used Penn reel lube.
X2. IMHO lube is lube unless you are hardcore.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The grease Penn uses is just silicon .
You can hunt that down and pay for a little tube or go to NAPA and grab a tube of sil-glide used for brake shoes. Again it’s just silicon grease but in a much bigger tube for the same price or less.
One other benefit is silicon has endless uses on a boat and a bigger tube will come in handy.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To the guys who recommended Reel-X from CorrosionX: bot some. Holy cow, did it free up my reels. I can think of many uses for that stuff now. Thanks.