New member checking in

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased a little 205 Tournament. It's an older boat(2004) but in great shape. Except for the engine. Even though it had only 209 hrs on the 2004 Yamaha 225, I had them pull the leg to check for the corrosion issue and low and behold it was infected to the point that the block was compromised. We bought the boat really cheap and are in the process of trying to sell the engine "as is" and repowering. That's the story of the boat. My wife and I are both getting up there in age but still like to get out and about. Love fishing and I enjoy tinkering on the boat. Looking forward to getting acquainted with the group here and learning What makes these Gradys tick.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Welcome!!

2004 is a good year. Picked up my Grady back in April and she's a 2004.

Enjoy your Grady.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm new here too. Just got a 2000 grady 265. 17 years mellowed...this age is a bargain if you don't pay up for the old engines.
A repower and you get every bit a boat as new for fraction of the cost.
I have a 1984 Wellcraft V20 that still gets out 60 miles & back on its 3rd motor

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. Here's the Little Star.
Al9vPHbh.jpg

qeSnbish.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
boat looks very clean. repower and get on the water....

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks great. New trailer under it, ready to roll. Repower and enjoy.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the corrosion issue in 2 2004 F225 this past winter and ended up replacing both engines with the F250 4.2L. One of the 04s had progressed to the head and their was no value or interest from the Yamaha dealer. The one with the head in good shape I got $800 for just the head from another of the dealers customers who was in the same situation as you are. FYI the cost of the exhaust and the power head replacement was about 13K and 2.5K for the engine with just the exhaust issue. There are plenty of 04s F225s dealing with the corrosion issue. You may want to check around for a power head - lot cheaper than 22K for a new one.
Good luck with boat, many years left in her!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Legend. At this late date in the 225 corrosion saga, I just wonder if there are any powerheads around that would be worth installing. Moving all the externals to a new bare block seems impractical. There are sooo many components. Still working on it......

John

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
journeyman said:
Halfhitch said:
It's an older boat(2004) but in great shape.

Not so old... Many years left in her! Welcome.
Old? I’ve got an ‘87 204C that is showing no sign of giving up.
Put a F200 4cylinder on it and you’ll love it!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
journeyman said:
Halfhitch said:
It's an older boat(2004) but in great shape.

Not so old... Many years left in her! Welcome.
Old? I’ve got an ‘87 204C that is showing no sign of giving up.
Put a F200 4cylinder on it and you’ll love it!

Odd you mention that cause that's exactly the way I'm leaning. I'm going to talk to a machinist today and depending on his reaction I will decide on whether to fix this or junk it. I have it listed "as is" on craigslist and have only got one nibble so there is not much value there on the open market regardless of the low hrs.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Legend said:
I had the corrosion issue in 2 2004 F225 this past winter and ended up replacing both engines with the F250 4.2L. One of the 04s had progressed to the head and their was no value or interest from the Yamaha dealer. The one with the head in good shape I got $800 for just the head from another of the dealers customers who was in the same situation as you are. FYI the cost of the exhaust and the power head replacement was about 13K and 2.5K for the engine with just the exhaust issue. There are plenty of 04s F225s dealing with the corrosion issue. You may want to check around for a power head - lot cheaper than 22K for a new one.
Good luck with boat, many years left in her!

Legend,,,How are you liking the 4.2's? Bought my boat in April and had my exhaust done on my F225 in May. So far so good. Seems to run strong, no hickups, 1200 hrs. Have been entertaining the idea to upgrade to the F250 4.2. I've been talking to SmokeyMountainGrady also about his upgrade to the 4.2, but he has limited hours on his due to his first upgrade finding a new home in Cuba. Was just curious on some more insight on these motors. I work at a E-rude dealer and of course they are pushing me towards a 250 HO G2. Decisions, Decisions! :hmm

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ky Grady,
My engines were the same as yours @ 1,200 hours and running perfect. In fact for the 12 years all we ever had to do was maintenance, not one mechanical repair. I did not want to sink 16K into repairing them but I probably could have got another 1,200+ hour out of them.
My first quote for a repower with F250 4.2L with digital controls and gauges installed was around 60K. we got a second quote was for twin F250s 4.2L with mechanical controls, Yamaha began offering this alternative about 18 months ago. That quote was just under 50K installed utilizing existing controls and gauges. Due to the budget we opted for the latter. Many other boaters in my marina have the digital and they swear by them.
The performance on the twin F250s has been outstanding. Top end delivers a little over 50 MPH compared to about 40 with the F225s. The most significant improvement is in the mid-range thrust. These engines rocket the boat onto plane. If I tried to plane my old F225s with one engine it would not get the boat up on a plane. When I tested this one not only did it get up on a plane fast, it powered the boat to 34 MPH. Pretty impressive just in case of a mechanical issue with one engine. The fuel mileage was a slight improvement over the old engines. We clocked 80 hours for the season and we hated to pull it last week. We have insurance parameters that dictated an out of water date. Good luck, any other specific questions give me a shout