What type/size of anchor

Gradylover

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello all,

I'm currently researching new anchors for my Seafarer 228 with bow pulpit I've ordered. I've narrowed it down to either a Delta or Fluke style anchor. I've always had the fluke style on our boats and haven't had any issues. I'm just wondering what everyone else is using? Also, I am assuming that there is not room to store the Delta in the anchor box on the Seafarer? I'm wondering if I go with a Delta style, how will it fit with the stock anchor roller? Does anyone keep their anchor stowed on the bow pulpit and if so, how do you keep it anchored. Any information that anyone can give me would be great. Does anyone have a Seafarer that can send me a picture of the anchor locker opened up and possibly provide a measurement of how wide of an anchor can fit? Sorry for all the questions- I'm trying to make the right decision the first time and figure what's best for me.

Thanks everyone.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got two Fortress anchors for mine. One in anchor locker, 20' of chain and 200' of rode. The other one is set up similar for stern anchoring while island/sandbar hopping. Store it in fish box under captains chair.

Just got home and checked size, FX-7, suitable for boats 16'-27'.

Don't think the Delta will fit the anchor locker. My bow roller is open, no hoop over it to snug up a Delta to. I used a chain tensioner on my Seaswirl to keep the anchor snug.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just happen to have my 226 in the yard for some maintenance. Here's a picture that you can expand to see the actual distances:

CHaRxk.jpg

The stock of a fluke anchor needs to be between 18" and 24". I use an 8 lb Danforth with 10 ft of chain.

If you use a plow or Delta style anchor, it needs to be self-deploying. That is, there is an angle in the anchor shaft that allows the weigh of the anchor to pull it through the opening in the pulpit. Most folks use a clip to hold the anchor chain tight so that the plow anchor fits tight against the pulpit. Release the chip and the anchor should drop on its own.