3 yr search ends with a new BOAT...?

joepez

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. New to the forum as far as posting goes. However, I browsed the forum quite a bit during my boat search, and got a boat load of tips and good info. So as a little giveback, the story begins. Family of four boating out of Narraganset Bay, RI.
Yrs 1 & 2.
Started at the Newport boat show, then Ft Lauderdale show, to NY show to Boston and Newport (again), Norwalk show and etc, etc.. Lotta fun. Sounds crazy but there are so many choices.... We decided to go with a duel console,and exclude some that are too plush because I do not want the upkeep with that.

So we narrowed it down to the following - World Cat 295, Edgewater 280 CX, Pursuit 265, Grady White 275 Freedom, Scout 275. So, by this point, the budget got waaay out of control. I had to drop the Edgewater first only because of price. I had to draw a line somewhere. Next, I had to drop the PURSUIT 265, even though the boat was very tempting and the right price, the windshield cap was smack in my line of sight.

Next, summer vacation is here and yup, we visit the three remaining factories. Road Trip. World Cat, Scout and Grady. Luckily, they are all fairly close to one another.
Well, we now really examine the boats. We dropped the Scout 275, although a beautiful boat, were preferred a transom with a walkthrough door. We also thought quite highly of their 255, but a little snug for us.

Yr 3.. Now down to the final two, and we test drove both. The World Cat was a fantastic ride. Awesome, smooth etc, etc,. However, the dealer was almost two hrs away from us. I could see that becoming a real pain.
Next, we tested a preowned 307 Freedom and it was very nice. However, it was almost too nice, missing the fun factor. It drove a little bigger than expected for tubing, kneeboards etc...

We then tested a Freedom 275 and BAM!!! fun, rightsized (for us ), great layout, great brand reputation, great resale, below the already crazy budget, etc. I think the factory tours were very revealing, and that really helped narrow it down for us.

We had a great time searching for a boat. The boats shows, the Sunday rides with the kids to go looking. ( I bribed them ) The endless boat talk etc. Lotta fun.
My daughter hung in with me throughout the whole search, long after my wife and son had enough. We had hoped & intended to buy a late model used boat,whatever brand it ended up being, but I my heart landed on twin 250's. So my daughter and I went together and ordered a new Freedom 275. Well, as they say, in for a penny , in for a pound..

So now we are anxiously waiting for March 2018 to come and get her in the water for a early April start. Brrrrr.

A sincere thanks to all who contribute to this site. Looking forward to a lot a family fun and joining the Grady community.
Joe P

Fishtales

Reaction score
the freedoms are hot right now. enjoy the boat!

joepez

Reaction score
Thanks very much !!! Really looking to make some great memories with the kids and family.....

I think you are correct with the Freedom being hot right now. When we went down to factory, I am quite sure they are working on a forty something footer Freedom model.

By the looks of the factory floor, things are good right now for the builders.....

Joe P