Winterizing a 330, left in water

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
So, a newbie here to a larger boat with twin Yam 350's. My last outboard boat had a 2 stroke Yam, and was on lift, so I just flushed it and lowered it to let it drain. Now, having a 330, that is kept in a covered slip, trying to see what I need to do. The local watermen say to just flush it, let the drain hose drain, then reconnect when it stops dripping, and tilt the motor up. Googling has not turned up much information. Can I ask what others do, if they plan to leave the boat in the water? The previous owner has always pulled it and shrink wrapped it, but he did not have a covered slip, which I do. Plus, we like going down and staying onboard during the winter.
Thanks,
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Flushing it is NOT the same as winterizing. Your thread title is a little misleading, in comparison to what is actually written in the thread. However, as far as freeze protection goes, a 4-stroke drains out the same as a 2-stroke when left vertical. Are you also asking about winterizing the engine and the boat systems?

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Dennis, Sorry if the title seems misleading. Maybe I should have titled it "Winterizing Outboards on a 330 left in the water." My question is in regards to winterizing the 350's. With the boat in the water, I do not want to leave the engines in the vertical position, all winter, even with a de-icer. My concern is will the engines drain out all raw water when tilted, after flushing them in the vertical position, then allowing the drain hose to drain out. I think the other systems, (Genny, AC & Water system) I can handle, since I have done my larger sun dancer for many years. I have just received T-Valves for the jenny and AC to make flushing and winterizing easier. Just have to pick up some bonding wire.
Thanks,
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, I got you. The actual "winterizing" part (like what you would do with an inboard or I/O Sundancer)... you're good with.

After you turn off the engine, assuming you don't immediately tilt it up, your engine will drain... it's the lower unit (exhaust passage through the hub and the impeller housing) that I would be worried about. And even if you pumped AF through the system (assuming you can do it through the flush attachment on the side of the motor) after tilting up, rain water can collect in the rear of the gear housing behind the prop and freeze. Although, there may not be enough that collects to do real damage... but I don't like "may not".

From my experience, best practice is to keep the engine vertical. Unless the water you are in freezes completely solid (not just on the surface), you should have nothing to worry about. If the water is going to freeze that solid where you are, will you still leave the boat in the water? Plus, wouldn't you have to keep re-wintering at least the A/C (heat) system every time you left the boat? Although, granted, that system is pretty easy to do.

I'm curious if there's more to this than what I know about it?

FYI... I've "heard" that the V8 Yammies have some awful small cooling passages in the engine (and water sometimes gets trapped with just the littlest of corrosion buildup) and pushing AF through the engine is a good idea. I can't say with 100% certainty how accurate that statement is - but it's something I would certainly double check on. If I couldn't find out DEFINITIVELY, it can't hurt to push some non-tox through.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Some of the newer yamahas need to be flushed with anti-freeze. I don't know about your 350's but my 300's need to be flushed. Apparently there is an oil cooler that needs to be flushed with Anti-freeze to prevent cracking over the winter.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with Dennis on keeping the motors vertical. If tilted back and exhaust out of the water, rain, snow, wind driven waves can fill up the housing and freeze and crack housing and push bearing carrier out. If it freezes hard solid like lakes up north, I'd be more concerned about ice around my hull crushing it, if that's the case, I'd pull her out and still store with motors vertical to keep lower unit drained.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the F350's need to have antifreeze run through them. you can check the Yamaha bulletins. as others pointed out, water (then ice) accumulation in the lu is an issue. good luck, ron

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks everyone. I plan on pumping antifreeze thru using my trusty home made flush bucket (5 Gallon bucket with faucet on bottom) and guessing a small bilge pump, thru the flushing adapter. We are in covered slip, so I am not worried about rain, snow, sleet getting into the exhaust on the lower unit so much. It does not freeze hard where we are, and there are deicers at the marina.
Seems hard to find info on the Yam 350's. Most searches go back to 4-wheelers.

After the parade Saturday night, I will winterize the genny and probably the AC/Heater. Not sure on the freshwater yet, since we are not getting below freezing for a bit. I do sort of wish the more exposed water features (transom shower, cockpit sink, windshield washer, wash down ) were on an isolated feed that would allow those to be winterized and still be able to use the cabin systems.

Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Separating the feed lines for the various water systems sounds like a good idea and fun little project! Shouldn't be too hard to figure something out - that makes it easy to separate (shut-off valves, drains, input for AF, etc) the systems. Or, at least group the "outside" systems together into one sub-system, and make the cabin the other sub-system. Of course, you'll need to winterize the cabin sub-system when you leave, but at least you won't have to worry about the outside sub-system while you're there.

Is there any info in the 350 owner's manual about winterizing/extended layup?

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Dennis,
Page 7-3, "Winterize all equipment as directed in the manufacturer’s manuals."

Not much info, just common sense, like empty trash....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does it say that in the Yamaha 350’s manual? I can understand that in the boat’s manual as the engine really isn’t part of the boat (different manufacturer). But if that’s in the Yamaha manual, that’s REALLY sad. Talk about CYA!!!

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Dennis,
The only real think I can find in the Yamaha Owners Manual is "when flushing the engine with the boat in the water, tilting up the outboard until it is completely out of the water will achieve better results." Looking thru the "Service Manual" which just arrived today, I am unable to find anything, but still looking. So, until I can confirm otherwise, I am thinking tilt it, then pump AF thru the flushing connector till it appears to be coming out, then flush a little longer. Would love to see a tech bulletin or something.

Thanks,
Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know where you are, or how cold it gets, but if you want to leave the lower unit tilted up, pour it full of RV antifreeze and put a plastic tub over the prop to keep water out. I would want mine out to prevent corrosion from stray electric current, especially in a marina.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mike, I think as long as you are POSITIVE that you can keep rain water (or big waves?) out of the tilted-up lower unit, then sure, flush it out with pink stuff. This is just me, but I think I would first do it vertical, just to be sure it's getting everywhere it's supposed to inside. Then tilt it up and put another gallon or two through. Probably telling you something you already know here, but obviously, since it's a 4-stroke, don't run the engine in the tilted position.

You probably figured this one out, too, but I don't think the manual is taking into account freezing temps - just getting all the salt water out.

ttles714

Reaction score
There is an issue with the 350's not completely draining water from the water jackets, freezing , and causing the jacket to crack... Go to the yamaha forum ... you need to flush those with antifreeze , .. I would suggest the -100 and not the - 50 degree.

Fishtales

Reaction score
^^ Agree. The dealers winterize the new larger yamahas this way.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did you end up leaving your 330 in the water? Cold winter on the East Coast. Lots of hard ice in the marinas. How did you do?

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Yes, I left her in. I had a deicer under the dock at the stern. Even on the coldest days, i always had a good 5' free around the boat, but it usually kept a good 50' diameter clear and flowing. When the temps were going below freezing, I lowered the motors. For warmer periods, I tilted them back up. I have not tried to start them yet, since I did pump them full of antifreeze. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mike