Used Marlin 30 hunt......mission failures

Graybeard

Reaction score
So far I’m 0-2 trying to buy a late model Marlin 30. Each time delamination of the balsa hull core was detected. The surveyor and repair shop I was referred to on my last attempt both said it’s a common problem with Grady White wide beam boats. The repair shop owner told me to buy a moisture meter and check prospective boats before I shell out for another survey. So far I can’t find a 2003 vintage Marlin 30 without high moisture readings. The boat I’m looking at now looks good except for a 4 foot long section low on the port side hull that pegs the meter. Neither the bank or the insurance company are requiring a survey, but it would be taking a big gamble to go without. Getting accurate information on this issue has been difficult to say the least. Any help out there?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
At the risk of jinksing myself...

When I bought my 2000 265 express it was in the water. I took a test drive, looked it over with my brothers help, and bought it because it seemed like a good value for a 2000 express with 2000 Ox66s yamaha's. I can't afford a new one. I will never afford a new one.

Old boats get wet. All of them. Wet doesn't necessarily mean they are going to fall apart. There are 35 year old boats out there still taking people fishing with wet stringers and decks.
There is no law that says you can't run a boat with wet spots. Is the problem Dangerous?

You can be the guy that buys a new one every 5 years or you can be the guy that deals with the things that happen to your old boat.
A new boat is going to be a used boat after the first season. Stuff will break. A NICE used boat will never cost as much as a new one no matter what goes wrong.

Is the boat you are looking at in great shape, aside from someone telling you it is wet in some spot?
What I trying to say is you have to decide if the area of wet coring is going to stop you from buying or is it going to be a negotiating chip when you buy the boat you have been dreaming about. Price it in. Make the seller wonder if he should deal now or keep watching a string of buyers pass.

Slacktime

Reaction score
This one is clean, dry and motors serviced with exhaust kits. I sent you a PM if you are interested. The picture is compressed, it is really a Marlin 300!

Attachments

• Slack Time 2016-1low.jpg
    Slack Time 2016-1low.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 297