replacing the brass tubes in engine well 33 express

tony-sally

Reaction score
anyone have info on replacing the scupper brass tubes that goes through transom on the 33 express. Looking for information
on where to buy and how difficult is the job any info would help
Thanks in Advance. Tony 33 Grady "Sally Ann"

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I had the drain tubes replaced on my previous boat(265) a few seasons ago. I had realized that they were starting to rot out just before I splashed the boat in the spring. It was last minute so I just had the yard do it. Don't remember the actual cost, but it wasn't much. You will probably need a flange tool to flare out the ends of the tube.

eppem

Reaction score
Like anything, its pretty easy but you need to right tool (flange tool) and time.

The tubes are not premeasured so you have to cut them based on a good estimate. The old ones needed to be removed and the tube holes cleaned and regooped with sealant. I was able to borrow a flange tool. Its a good DIY project but you will scrape your knuckles.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I did mine a year or two ago. Bought the tool on line and remember it being pretty reasonable. Bought tubes with one end flanged and the other straight. Took most of a day to do all 6 I seem to remember. Came out nice and sealed well to prevent water intrusion. Make sure to get tubes long enough since the transom is pretty thick on the 330.

freddy063

Reaction score
You might be better off just fiber glassing the edges and gel coat it. If your brass tubes are breaking or failing the reason is water is swelling the wood causing the tubes break. Well that's what I found on my boat

tony-sally

Reaction score
wspitler said:
I did mine a year or two ago. Bought the tool on line and remember it being pretty reasonable. Bought tubes with one end flanged and the other straight. Took most of a day to do all 6 I seem to remember. Came out nice and sealed well to prevent water intrusion. Make sure to get tubes long enough since the transom is pretty thick on the 330.
hello my name is Tony I'am going to replace the drain tubes on my 33 also I bought the tubes and the tool can you give me some advice on job. how much longer should the tube be over the with of the transom also any tricks on getting the old tubes out
going to do the job when it warms up a little in new jersey
thanks in advance tony 33 grady . Sally Ann

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I found the job to be easy and the two I had to do did not take too long at all. I bought the tubes flared on one end and the tool. I got the old ones out easy with a hammer and old chisel. I thought I bought the tubes the right length and extra long ones just in case, but I ended up having to use the long ones and cut them with a large pipe cutter (local hardware store). I am pretty sure I cut them 1/4" longer and loaded up the inside with 5200. I might regret that if I ever have to do them again, but now I figure if they crack and I don't see until after the season the 5200 should provides protection. Have some paint thinner, or mineral spirts on hand to clean up the 5200 if you go that route.

My old Offshore I bought the tubes from Gemlux. I was going to do that again but at the time they didn't look available. At the end I thought the brass tubes were much easier to do if you buy the tool.

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Anyone have a supplier for these? I need to replace 2 on my Voyager 248. Thanks.

tony-sally

Reaction score
fordfisherman said:
Anyone have a supplier for these? I need to replace 2 on my Voyager 248. Thanks.
amozon MOELLER MFG. COMPANY, INC.
Drain Tube, Brass, 1-1/4 x 3-7/8 inches
Be the first to review this item
Price: $11.03 & FREE Shipping
Get $20 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon.com Store Card.
In Stock.
Get it as soon as Feb. 27 - March 2 when you choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Ships from and sold by Boating Accessories.
MOELLER MFG. COMPANY 021253388D, MOE021253388D.

note 1 1/4 by 3-7/8 tube fits my boat a 33 grady.i needed at least 3-1/2 in