208 re-power with 200 hp E-tec G2 - which prop?

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We’re planning on re-powering our 208 with a 200 HP Evinrude G2 next month and I’m curious to hear if anyone has done the same, and what prop they went with. The 4-bladed option is intriguing with the purported mid-range efficiency and sure bite. I’m waiting to hear what the dealer recommends for our boat, but it would be great to know what others here have done if possible.

steveditt

Reaction score
I also have a 208 98 that's at the dealer who is installing a G 1 150 HP HO including hydraulic steering ,needs to water test with different props which I expect will be late March . Best of luck with your new engine .

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks & thank you! RX4 it is. I'm beyond excited. Going with the Icon Pro gauges. Will try to post pics asap.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You’ll note that the 18 pitch props are going on larger boats. Generally 20’ Grady’s with a 200hp engine run best with a 19” pitch. Mine has a 225hp and runs best with a stainless 20” pitch. I have an extra prop which is 18 pitch and when mounted I have to watch the rpms so that I don’t over rev the engine.
I understand that the G2s have more punch so a 200 might perform like a 225. You might end up with a 20 pitch prop.
Mike

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks again. Will let you know what the dealer comes back with and how things go. It’ll be a month or so. The 10-year warrantee promotion expires April 30 so by then for sure.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
A 10 year warranty gets my attention.
Is it transferable?

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It’s called the Perfect 10. Here’s the fine print from the Evinrude website. You may need to look up their B.E.S.T. contract literature for an answer to that...

"©2017 BRP US Inc. (BRP). All rights reserved. ®,™ and the BRP logo are trademarks of Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. or its affiliates. Offer valid only to qualified buyers on purchases of engines bought for recreational use only. Excludes engines purchased under commercial, professional, and government programs. Offer is valid in the USA only on new and unused Evinrude E-TEC engines purchased, delivered and registered between 11/1/17 and 4/30/18 at an authorized, participating Evinrude dealer. *10-YEAR COVERAGE: Subject to all exclusions, limitations of liabilities, and all other terms and conditions of BRP’s standard limited warranty and B.E.S.T. contract, including without limitation the exclusions of damages caused by abuse, abnormal use or neglect (see B.E.S.T. contract for specific details of coverage and exclusions). Offer effective on all new and unused 15? H.O. and above Evinrude E-TEC outboard engines. Eligible models will receive 10-year coverage (3 years of BRP Limited Warranty and 7 years of BRP Extended Service Terms [B.E.S.T.] coverage) subject to a $50 deductible on each repair. Benefit offered to Florida residents is a 10-year BRP Limited Warranty. Evinrude Jet Series engines are eligible for 6-year coverage offer on the upper unit only. The jet pump assembly will only receive a 3-year BRP limited warranty. All rigging components purchased on the same bill of sale as the engine, will be covered under the same BRP Extended Service Terms as the engine. **Approximate retail value of 7 years BRP Extended Service Terms coverage is based on number of HP and is up to 7,500 USD for a 300 HP engine.

Offer subject to change without notice. See your authorized, qualified Evinrude dealer for details. Terms and conditions apply. Offer may not be assigned, traded, sold or combined with any other offer unless expressly stated herein. OFFER VOID WHERE RESTRICTED OR OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW."

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You could get a headache reading that. The way they have it worded as long you don’t run over rocks, flush it after use and bring it back for scheduled maintenance your good.
A lot of people don’t hold onto their boat for 10 years and a transferable warranty is a helpful selling point. I didn’t see it but that might be listed under the “best” portion of the contract.
Looks good for as long as you have it. I’ll tell you if I had an outboard that ran well for 10 years I’d have no complaints.
One other thing Evenrudes are said to be underrated on hp. That 200 may be closer to 225.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you’re right re horsepower Lt. Mike. My mechanic says hypothetically that the 150hp G2 would outperform my 175 HPDI by a lot. The G2 “challenge” videos on the Evinrude site are impressive. I’m sure she’ll be a very different 208 after the re-power!

I just saw an image of the twin 200s on Len’s Finest Kind and they look amazing.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The re-power is taking some time due to new electronics also being installed, as well as a few other extras while she’s out of the water – in addition to busy season coming on. We should have her back in the water in the next week or two but so far we’re going to run the RX4 15 x 18” first and from there see if we should go with the 15 x 20”. I'll be back with the final choice and images asap. Thanks again.

steveditt

Reaction score
G1 150 HP HO 15 .75 x 15 rebel top speed 40 mph replace a 175 Yamaha SS top speed 35 , wanted to stay lighter than G2 but you should fly enjoy !

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Steve- that’s fast! I can’t wait to see what this G2 will be like… The G1 150 HO was my dream motor for years and years. They look great on Grady’s too.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, me too. The RX4 is awesome and the 18” pitch is perfect for a 200 hp G2 on the Adventure 208. 5800 RPM and got to 45 MPH so far in bumpy conditions. (the 175 HPDI topped out at 40 mph 5600 RPM). It’s a relatively big propeller and really holds tight in turns at speed. Zero cavitation. I'm surprised by the power! Thanks for pointing us toward the RX4.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just gotta add that while crossing back home from Avalon - at happier than usual cruising speed - I was able to take my hands off the wheel and the boat held a straight course without veering for an unusually long time - only veering from the swells after awhile. The RX4 is rad for this application.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finally a pic. We love our 2 stroke. WOT reached 45 mph with bottom paint in the right conditions. She's just solid. Thank you all for input.

The lower RPM performance is impressive. Not exact for sure, but she can now plane 17mph to 19mph+ in rough stuff at 3100-3300 RPM with NO trim tabs. I'll post more pics in the near future of the gauges in action, now that I know how to do so. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

• GW 208 G2 200 HP.jpg
    GW 208 G2 200 HP.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

steveditt

Reaction score
IMG_0337[2629].JPGHi Jim That G2 looks fantastic of course I'm checking those scuppers which look well above the water line , I spent a few hours yesterday at the dealer discussing 150 HO ' RPMs Max which he will check via the EMM this fall if below 5300 I might have the prop re pitched dealer thinks the Rebel is the best prop for my application . I'm also adding trims this winter .My sweet spot seems to be right around 3500 -4000 at four running at 30 mph . I have a friend also interested in the 200 G 2 similar boat so I'll pass along the prop info thanks . Steve

Last edited:

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! I think the 200 G2 was something like 27 lbs heavier than our 175 HPDI. She's rated to 230 hp (the newer 208s are at 250 hp.) I wonder about trim tabs but we keep her in a slip year round and the extra holes make me hesitant. It would be nice to help keep the balance right, but currently I adjust the load if needed, both people and stuff. Are you going with Bennet? Our local "shore boat" water-taxis in Avalon, as well as the harbor patrol boats, all have E-tecs (60s and 150s respectively) and they're putting thousands and thousands of hard salt water hours on them with little to zero fresh water flushing or kind words. Made in the USA!

steveditt

Reaction score
Thanks Steve! I think the 200 G2 was something like 27 lbs heavier than our 175 HPDI. She's rated to 230 hp (the newer 208s are at 250 hp.) I wonder about trim tabs but we keep her in a slip year round and the extra holes make me hesitant. It would be nice to help keep the balance right, but currently I adjust the load if needed, both people and stuff. Are you going with Bennet? Our local "shore boat" water-taxis in Avalon, as well as the harbor patrol boats, all have E-tecs (60s and 150s respectively) and they're putting thousands and thousands of hard salt water hours on them with little to zero fresh water flushing or kind words. Made in the USA!
T