Engine Search...Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
I am on the lookout for an engine to re-power my project. With all that I need to do to this boat, and in an effort to keep the cost down, I am looking for a runner for a year or 2. I have read posts on a few forums, looked on CL and called a few local shops and in the end as you can imagine have gotten mixed messages. I figured I would start a thread and just ask everyone's opinion on what I am seeing out there.

- My boat... '84 242 Caribbean
- Current power.... original OMC Seadrive
- Adding a bracket

What I have found at this point...

- 2001 Evinrude 225 Engine is a Ficht. Unknown history. Comes with everything... binnacle, gauges, cables
I know about the reputation of the Ficht engine. I have read some are very happy with the engine, some hate them.

- 1999 Yamaha 250hp VX76 Engine is marina maintained... wax pencil dates on parts replaced. Compression on cylinders... 100, 105, 105, 105, 105, 110.

I have read that the ox66 engine is good but don't know about this 'V-x" or what the difference between the two are. I'll do some looking.

Thanks for your thoughts.

mhinch

Reaction score
I had twin 200 Evinrude Direct Injection 2004 models on my old boat. New boat has 225 Yamaha 4 stroke and won't have anything but from now on. My advice to you is Yamaha 4S. Also Suzuki is big with the commercial guys and some but not most of the guides locally. It really depends on the area and what's prevalent brand/dealer/support wise. The ox66 is bulletproof too.

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
I am leaning towards the ox66 because I have not really heard anything bad about them. I did find an engine but the compression seems a little low. What would an engine with supposedly less than 700 hours have for cylinder compression? After I hear some answers I'll divulge what this engine has.

Thanks!

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
So I like what I hear about the Yamaha ox66 engine. This engine (01 YAMAHA OX66 225 SX225TXRZ RUNNING OUTBOARD ENGINE ) online with 700 hours. For those who are in the know... what should the compression be for each cylinder? I'll disclose what the post says for cyl compression.

Thanks for any thoughts

Thomas

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Typically, anywhere is the low 100's is good, maybe 115. But don't make the mistake of looking only at the numbers. As long they're not REAL low, but consistent with each other, you're good. Along with the normal things to check out, look at stuff like the O2 sensor and tube, VST lift pump/screen/fuel condition, make sure the lower unit comes off (check and/or replace impeller). Probably some others that I'm not thinking about, but that should get you going. Great engine - generally pretty bullet proof - just keep the gas clean... A good stabilizer/ethanol treatment and Ring Free.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nothing that I see or read stands out as a "run away" sign. Compression (assuming it's correct, of course!) is fine. The only thing I noticed is that I don't see the little red, plastic ring in the on-engine fuel/water separator. That's the transparent plastic bowl on the port side. The red ring will float if there's water in there. I'd still want to verify the VST condition. It'd be nice to see it running along with fuel pressure. Price seems fair, but ask him more about the "trim is slow" comment.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi, not sure if you're still looking for an engine but have you spoken with Boston Harbor Marine in Ipswitch? He has a bunch of used engines in that range you're looking for. Good luck!

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
Green Mountain Grady said:
Boston Harbor Marine in Ipswitch? He has a bunch of used engines in that range you're looking for.
Thanks for chiming in Green Mtn Grady... I know exactly where he is. As you must know, living in the Northeast we have a regrettably shorter boating season compared to the southern states. The hours put on engines are not as high as those from the south. I have talked to people who say (I don't know for a fact) that he is shipping engines up from the south and reselling them up here. He is fair when he sells his engines. He welcomes you to bring your mechanic to evaluate any engine you may be looking at. He says "check it out BEFORE you buy" in his advertisements and honestly states that the hours are "unknown".

Ok.. so that said... what is the general consensus with regards to purchasing an engine where the hours are totally unknown? No history?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IpswichGrady said:
Ok.. so that said... what is the general consensus with regards to purchasing an engine where the hours are totally unknown? No history?

I keep seeing posts and ads for 2003 motors with 400 hrs. I can't figure out how someone could buy a boat and not use it. I put 1200 hrs on my zuki 2003 DF140. in NJ...6 month season, I don't consider that a lot. Sold it in 2017, running great. I wouldn't trust a 14 year old motor any more just for having only 400 hrs. Still ran in salt then sat, then ran in salt, then sat & sat & sat...
400 hrs ain't enough time to break things...new owner gets that privilege.

Just bought boat with twin 2000 225 Ox66s. They ran great. They were "rebuilt" and have 400ish hrs after rebuild. I saw some new parts. Who knows how many hours they really have?? The guy ran to the canyons alot.
Price was right.
I have already replaced some parts.
Its all a crap shoot.

Fishtales

Reaction score
100 hours a year is a lot in the NE. Not everybody is running all day. Many go to a spit or beach and hang for the day so not a lot of run time. I troll on one motor and alternate, so even when fishing I'm only running one OB. Too bad age is just as bad if not worse than hours.....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
IpswichGrady said:
I think that taking the chance on purchasing 2 engines with histories... with all gauges and controls .. then selling the extra one may be a viable option. What do people think?

You'll need a single binnacle (shifter/throttle) and you'll have to sell a counterrotating motor by itself.

IpswichGrady

Reaction score
Model
Carribean
I understand why you have counter rotating engines when you have duel engines. But if you’re running a single engine does it really matter which way it rotates?

Fishtales is right... in Ipswich we run to the beach or sandbar.... maybe to neighboring Gloucester or Newburyport. A day trip (or overnight) to Portsmouth NH or Portland ME. I will bet I probably won’t put much more than 100 hours all season.