How to remove bolsters and stern seat back cushions???

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am contemplating getting new stern seat backs and bolsters. I looked around but still can't figure out how to remove the factory installed items. Do any of you have insight on removing these items ?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What skunk said. If you've never removed them, they may be stuck. Stainless steel brackets behind all of it. Use your palm and hit bolsters from the bottom and they should come up, then pull away from from gunnel side and lift off.

Zoom in on this pic and you'll see the rear brackets. Same on the side bolsters.

Attachments

• 20170427_215653.jpg
    20170427_215653.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,458

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a pic of some of the side bolster clips. If you look at the first clip you can see some screw holes, you might have some screws holding side bolsters. Mine didn't , but PO may have removed them. My bolsters stay in place without them. Screws will come in from backside if they are there.

Attachments

• 20170807_165534-600x800-600x800.jpg
    20170807_165534-600x800-600x800.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,451

seasick

Reaction score
My bolsters had screws but not from the backside. They were put in through the weephole grommets on the bottom of the bolsters. If you have grommets, then there is a good chance that a few screws were used to secure the bolsters. Take a look with a flashlight and poke around a bit in the holes. Once the screws were out, you push up on the bolster to slide it off the bracket

Gary M

Reaction score
My aft bench seat needed to have bolts and I had to pull out the drink holders and get my arm in there...... but it worked. That was on a 1993 Sailfish though. No matter what, they WILL come off!

G8RDave

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
Here's a pic of some of the side bolster clips. If you look at the first clip you can see some screw holes, you might have some screws holding side bolsters. Mine didn't , but PO may have removed them. My bolsters stay in place without them. Screws will come in from backside if they are there.

The previous owner definitely had the screws in the weep holes (came in from the front). ツ When I had the bolsters redone, they did the bolsters without weep holes and screws. The screws were certainly not needed. The bolsters fit very snug without them. Trailered at 80mph, motored through hurricane conditions, etc and they never moved.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
G8RDave said:
Ky Grady said:

The previous owner definitely had the screws in the weep holes (came in from the front). ツ When I had the bolsters redone, they did the bolsters without weep holes and screws. The screws were certainly not needed. The bolsters fit very snug without them. Trailered at 80mph, motored through hurricane conditions, etc and they never moved.

Well that explains that. They definitely don't move, even without the screws. 8)

seasick

Reaction score
If there are screws, they can be really difficult to see. One trick is to use a very thin metal spackle knife and insert it between the bolster and the side of the gunnel. If it goes in more than an inch or an inch and a half, there probably is no screw in that area. Move the knife along the entire bolster bottom edge and check. If there is a screw you will hit it. The screws if any will be where a grommet is on the bottom side of the bolster but there will be a lot more grommets than screws. If you can't get the knife between the fiberglass and the bolster at all, there may well be a screw in that area.
When reinstalling, plug any old holes with caulk or 4200 / 5200 before reinstalling the bolsters. It is just about impossible to reuse the old holes. Shoot a new screw into one of the grommets at a steep angle so that it hits the glass fairly perpendicularly. Two or three screws per bolster are plenty. One if fine for short bolsters.
The bolsters as mentioned are pretty tight without the screws but in some cases you might benefit from having them screwed in. (like when someone holds onto the bottom of the bolster while they lean overboard or when climbing onto the boat over a gunnel)

Another advantage for the screws is that it makes it a lot more difficult for someone to 'borrow' your shinny new bolsters.