Outboard Bracket Zinc

wlewis

Reaction score
My 2011 225 has a factory installed Armstrong bracket/platform with an underside mounted circular zinc. The zinc appears structurally sound, yet is covered with white corrosion so I'm looking to replace it, but yet to find one. Anyone replaced one before? If so, where did you find it?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wlewis,
If the zinc is showing corrosion(the white stuff) then it is working at its' job. If there is still some bulk to the zinc left then no need to change. If you want to give it a fresh start just take it off and dip it in muratic acid from your pool store. Don't go off and leave it unattended. We are talking less than a minute or so. You can leave it in place and paint the muratic on with a paint brush if you can do it without it running down your arm. Wear safty glasses. Flush with hose water when done. The zinc will look shiny bright..

wlewis

Reaction score
Good idea. I believe there is life left in it so I think I'll paint the acid on it rather than remove the zinc, especially since I'm not sure of best method to seal the bolt hole to prevent leakage without destroying the zinc to bracket contact. I still would like to find a replacement for future use.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A wire brush is usually pretty good at removing that white stuff, too. But... do you boat in fresh or salt water and what is the composition of the anode (Zn, Al, Mg)?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd change it out every 3 years or so. You want to ensure a solid and corrosion free mate between the bracket and the zinc.
I get mine from:
http://www.boatzincs.com/

wlewis

Reaction score
Salt water. I’ve had the boat for 5 years and it sat on dealer lot for 2 years prior to purchase, so it’s 7 years old with original anode, presumably, zinc. I leave it on a jet dock so it does stay out of the water. In using a wire brush to remove the white corrosive residue, one needs to be very careful not to scratch through paint on bracket. I spend quite a bit of time, keeping paint chips touched up hoping to avoid corrosion.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
wlewis said:
Salt water. I’ve had the boat for 5 years and it sat on dealer lot for 2 years prior to purchase, so it’s 7 years old with original anode, presumably, zinc. I leave it on a jet dock so it does stay out of the water. In using a wire brush to remove the white corrosive residue, one needs to be very careful not to scratch through paint on bracket. I spend quite a bit of time, keeping paint chips touched up hoping to avoid corrosion.

Well, sure, I think that part goes without saying. I think that's a pretty easy thing to control, though - at least I've never seemed to have a problem with it in the past.

While I don't think you have to necessarily change it out, I agree with Fish that you want to make sure the connection between the anode, it's bolt and the bracket is good. Obviously there are worse things than changing it out, but if it's in good condition and you're not noticing any issue with the surrounding metal, it's kind of a waste to just throw it away. Since you have the boat on a lift, and it sounds like you take care to limit bare metal, it makes sense that the anode has lasted so long. Clean it off any way you want and keep on boatin'!