Need Advise on Buying a used 2008 222 Fisherman

wjbender

Reaction score
Found a nice looking 2008 Fisherman 222 - I would be the third owner. The dealer stated that he has always serviced the boat and motor. When I asked about a survey and the potential for wet wood, his response was "all boats will show some moisture - nothing to be concerned about" "Many boats that had wet wood have gone on for many years of good service". After reading the tales of woe here and on other boating forums I am getting a little nervous about buying a used boat. I guess it is a matter of how much wet wood is too much, and is it reasonable to expect to find a 10 year old boat that is completely dry???? Of course I would never buy without a survey, and I guess I can rely on the surveyors opinion, but I want to hear from you guys what you think. What should I expect to find in a 10 year old boat and is a little wetness OK? I know the Grady's are build with pressure treated wood, but when wet and stored in our freezing Northeast it will cause delamination.

OK - what are your thoughts as I am shopping now.

Graybeard

Reaction score
The problem is hull delamination of the balsa core caused by excessive moisture. I think the wide beam GW’s are the ones with balsa cored hull sides known to have the delamination issues. I lost what I thought was the perfect boat for the perfect price when the survey showed excessive hull delamination on a Marlin 30. The owner of one of the better repair shops told me it would cost more to repair than the asking price. But he did tell me to buy a moisture meter on Amazon and test hulls myself to eliminate the WET ones before getting anything surveyed. It was $150 but well worth it. I watched a couple brokers faces turn pale when the moisture meter pegged itself on what was advertised as “Clean” boats. GW was basically useless when I asked them about the balsa core delamination issues that all the local surveyors and repair shops seemed to know about. But I finally found a DRY Marlin 30 that surveyed out well and settlement should be next week. A trailer kept 2008 22 should not have any hull delamination issues. But anytime you buy a used boat, a survey is a good idea.

Graybeard

Reaction score
An 8-15% moisture meter reading is considered good. Over 15% questionable 20-25%......walk away.