Opinion on 190 Tarpon series

Andover_CT

Reaction score
Hello All,
haven't gone and looked at... but a gentleman is trying to work a deal with me that includes a trade for his 1981 Tarpon 190 with a 1994 V4 140 hp Evinrude. I like the looks and features... and it certainly would have a use next to my Kingfish....

Is there anything I should check on or be worried about in the construction of these? The fact that its 37 years of doesn't really bother me---unless I come to find out these have transom or core issues or.....

Just looking for thoughts on them.

Thanks

Tony

Andover_CT

Reaction score
Hi,
Im looking for info pointing out inherent weaknesses and "design flaws" that I should be looking for...

I know all about rotted transoms and stringers but thanks for info.

Tony

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Sorry, I was a little brief, let me try again

The Tarpon is like all other Gradys in that it has wood in the transom, stringers, and deck.
Like other manufacturers, they didn't always cover the stringers where they drain.
Like other manufacturers, the transom has the aluminum trim that covers the edge of the transom. This is a notorious spot for water getting into the transom.
The fact that it is an '80s boat means it has had multiple transducers screwed into that transom over the years.
The fuel tank probably needs replacement if it hasn't been done.
You can still find nice one's but its getting hard. You should price it expecting to need work.