204 Fisherman fuel tanks

chsfisher1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1987 204 Fisherman. The boat has what I assume to be the factory fuel tank with the fuel filler on the port gunwale at the stern. I also have 2 additional fuel fillers on the port and starboard gunwales forward of the cockpit. The person I purchased the boat from knew nothing about these tanks other than that they were present. He only owned the boat for a couple of years and never put gas in either forward tank.

I have downloaded the owner's manual from GW as well as the brochure from 1987, and I cannot find any reference to the forward fuel tanks. They are not listed as a factory option on this model. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to know where the tanks are located, how much they hold, and how they are tied to the main tank (I assume they must be somehow).

Thanks in advance!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't expect to see a second tank on a small boat. However, one could be the pump-out for the head... the other might be a water tank? Trace the hoses and see where they go. If not that, it's possible a previous owner installed something - but you're back to tracing the hoses or looking for tanks. Can't be too hard to find on a small boat. Do the deck fittings say anything on them?

chsfisher1

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I wouldn't expect to see a second tank on a small boat. However, one could be the pump-out for the head... the other might be a water tank? Trace the hoses and see where they go. If not that, it's possible a previous owner installed something - but you're back to tracing the hoses or looking for tanks. Can't be too hard to find on a small boat. Do the deck fittings say anything on them?

The boat has no head nor a freshwater system. They are both marked "GAS", both have appropriate vents for gas, and both smell of gas fumes. If it ever stops raining, I'll pull off the different access panels and go snooping some more with my boroscope. I have not found a valve anywhere to select the different tanks, but again, I haven't looked everywhere just yet.

The fillers and vents were installed well and look like they could be factory. There is a dash switch marked "fuel" for the fuel gauge that is definitely factory, but there are two other toggle switches that do not appear to be factory. One marked "rear" which is an on-off switch, and one marked "front" that is a 3-way switch (presume on-off-on). The fuel gauge doesn't work, so it's hard to get an idea of what the added switches do. I presume they just reroute the sender signals from each tank to the gauge. I plan to redo the gauge panel at some point so I'll track the wires then.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
From my experience, Grady does install a manual fuel valve to select which tank the engine pulls from (with Grady-installed twin tanks). Maybe you'll find that, at least. But I just can't imagine there's enough room under the cockpit floor for a second tank in that boat. The standard tank is probably at least 70 gallons? That would take up pretty much the entire rear cockpit floor. You'll just have to start looking around and see what you see.

There are, indeed, dash switches that are used to determine which gas tank (sending unit) feeds the fuel gauge. If memory serves, there was an "On/Off" switch to activate the gauge, then a separate 3-position switch where you could select something like "aux tank-off-main tank".

Without being there, it sounds like you either have some type of Frankenstein 3-tank setup, or possibly just two tanks and at some point someone replaced a dry-rotted fuel fill hose and put it on the other side. It's very feasible given how the old the boat is, but I wouldn't expect the "old" hose to still smell like gas - or at least not as strongly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That boat came stock with one fuel tank from what I know. It is installed in the aft section of the bilge. You may need to do some investigating. The tank could have 2 fills if actually two tanks in one. I doubt it, usually they baffle them to keep the fuel from moving all around. Maybe someone installed additional tanks, but if they did I would assume you would find a tank control valve somewhere.

chsfisher1

Reaction score
I decided to go searching in the rain since it was at least fairly warm today. I did not get my boroscope out since it was raining, but I spent a good bit of time digging around.

What I initially assumed was a pump and valve for the live wells is actually the fuel selector for the 3 fuel tanks and an OMC fuel filter. It is located in the port-side battery storage compartment. The selector valve is mounted on the outside of the compartment. The batteries were moved under the center console. I did not locate the two tanks, but they almost have to be either beside the factory tank or under the center console.

I still have no idea why the tanks were installed as I agree with the previous posts that additional fuel capacity shouldn't be needed for a boat this small. I would certainly not go beyond the 80 gal capacity of the factory tank.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There are no hatches (either hinged or screw down) on either side of the factory tank hatch, are there? I wouldn't expect to see any there as the outboard side of the stringers is typically flotation. Under the helm (which is removable?) would be a logical spot that an owner would put it.