"TANKED" anyone else see this article

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
It appeared in the latest issue of BoatUS magazine and refers to replacing anodes in the water heater.

I haven't read anything over the years referencing replacement (or even the existence) of these anodes. I was wondering if it is something that I have been overlooking or is it a non-issue with Grady-White boats.

Regards

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
jip40 said:
It appeared in the latest issue of BoatUS magazine and refers to replacing anodes in the water heater.

I haven't read anything over the years referencing replacement (or even the existence) of these anodes. I was wondering if it is something that I have been overlooking or is it a non-issue with Grady-White boats.

Regards

This below was a brief discussion on this topic last fall. Same as Legend, I am going to get up under the shrink wrap soon to get the model number of the tank and order an anode if it has one, which I feel sure it does.

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25299&hilit=anode

seasick

Reaction score
SkunkBoat said:
you got one in your house water heater too.
I was going to say that also and add a bit but decided to delete my response. But... since you mentioned the fact, I will add my two cents:)
How many folks do you know that routinely remove, inspect and replace if necessary, the anode in their home water heater? The job is a pain since the anodes often don't come out that easily and you have to find a replacement preferable before removing the old one. Even if the old one looks good, you might as well replace it since you went through all the effort.

If you feel the need to replace the anode in a marine heater, you have to start inspecting it early in its life. If your heater is 5 to 10 years old and the anode hasn't been inspected and replaced as needed then it is probably too late.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
seasick said:
How many folks do you know that routinely remove, inspect and replace if necessary, the anode in their home water heater?

LOL! Here's one. As stated in the linked previous discussion, I do it every 2 years. I have moderately hard well water. After becoming a homeowner 25 years ago and replacing my water heater for the second time, I started changing it often and haven't had an issue since. But I think you are right, I'm probably not the norm. Just like changing the anodes on a boat though, they are not expensive and easy to do.

seasick said:
If you feel the need to replace the anode in a marine heater, you have to start inspecting it early in its life. If your heater is 5 to 10 years old and the anode hasn't been inspected and replaced as needed then it is probably too late.

Maybe. But Marine water heaters are not in service 365 like in your home. For most of us, they are used when slipped and then probably only sporadically. And for us in the northern climates, that is further reduced. It may turn out to not be an easy job because of access but if you're not seeing signs of a failing water heater (leaking or rust in the water), I don't think it is too late. IMHO. We'll see...............

seasick

Reaction score
journeyman said:
seasick said:
How many folks do you know that routinely remove, inspect and replace if necessary, the anode in their home water heater?

LOL! Here's one. As stated in the linked previous discussion, I do it every 2 years. I have moderately hard well water. After becoming a homeowner 25 years ago and replacing my water heater for the second time, I started changing it often and haven't had an issue since. But I think you are right, I'm probably not the norm. Just like changing the anodes on a boat though, they are not expensive and easy to do.

seasick said:

Maybe. But Marine water heaters are not in service 365 like in your home. For most of us, they are used when slipped and then probably only sporadically. And for us in the northern climates, that is further reduced. It may turn out to not be an easy job because of access but if you're not seeing signs of a failing water heater (leaking or rust in the water), I don't think it is too late. IMHO. We'll see...............

Your last point is valid regarding usage. For corrosion to occur, oxygen is needed. That comes from he water and the more often water flows into the tank, the more oxygen in the form of air that is dissolved in the water.

Your first point is also true. If you have water chemistry that corrodes the tank faster than 'normal' changing the anode more regularly can extend the tank's life. Unfortunately, often you don't know that your water is more corrosive until you experience a premature failure as you did twice.
So I suppose there is a case for an initial inspection plan to judge how fast the anode is being used up and then go from there for a replacement schedule plan. What I was saying is that if you haven't checked your anode for a longish period of time, there probably is not a lot of benefit to starting now.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
seasick said:
journeyman said:
seasick said:
What I was saying is that if you haven't checked your anode for a longish period of time, there probably is not a lot of benefit to starting now.

This is kind of what I was thinking plus I have no idea how difficult a job it is on a 330. If it's relatively easy I may try it - if not easy I will probably take my chances