GW 330Express 2006 Fuel not flowing from Alt tank?

Reaction score
I have a great Grady 330 express. When running I switch from main tank to aux to balance fuel usage. As I switched recently both 250 yamahas shut down. I switched back to main which was very low and used the fill squeeze balls and both engines fired up. It has worked fine for years same routine as always . Any Ideas as to what could be up?? help! Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
My first thought was that the aux tank is empty. I suppose the transfer valve could be blocked too.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Or you may have a vacuum leak in the fuel lines upstream from the selector valves. Assume you tried pumping the primer balls after the motors died while still on the alt tank? It's possible you just had enough air in that side to lose prime...

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How long after you switched tanks did the engines shut down? Were the primer bulbs collapsed? The vent (either the hose or the vent in the cap itself) on that tank could be blocked causing vacuum. Did you unscrew the gas cap and was it hard to do? If yes, try running with the cap off.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
You should have two fuel selector valves, one for port motor and one for stb motor? If you threw them both to aux and both motors cut out, the things in common would be fuel level and fuel air tank vent.

Did you throw both valves fully into the Aux position? If you throw them less than fully the ball valve will cut off the fuel. Did you throw them or did the crew throw them.....

This is a simple fix, no worries. Add gas and beer and try it again.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
agree with others. you are looking for a single point of failure if both engines shutdown. the pickups are separate so it should not be anti-siphon or feed lines. venting or fuel level? assuming the valves were switched correctly. good luck, ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
another caveat. this assumes a prior owner didn't "fix" something. I've seen some chit. :mrgreen: ron

seasick

Reaction score
If both motors shut down at exactly the same time, I doubt it is a vent issue.

eppem

Reaction score
Had the same experience two seasons ago (2016) with my 03 265 with one engine. I had planned on changing the fuel lines and the end of the season and it turned out that was the culprit. I ended up changing all my fuels lines mid season vs end of season. No cuts, kinks, tears or holes, just the hose had gotten super soft where it ran thru a bulkhead.

I am no Yammy tech or mechanic but always best to start with the simple. Get a long enough piece of fuel hose and bypass the fuel line. Pop the sender, attach the bypass and run it directly to the primer. If the engine starts and you have no issue you now have eliminated some of the "what is wrong". Weird that its both engines at the same time, I doubt its the switch. Most likely the fuel hoses need to be replaced. Just my two cents. Any other thoughts?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
If both motors shut down at exactly the same time, I doubt it is a vent issue.

he said he was running both engines off a single tank. so a single vent and fill line. 2 fuel line pickups so the probability of both lines failing at once is low, but not impossible. i still go with no fuel or the vent and fill lines. ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
and that would most likely be at the cap. if it is sealed tight, could cause the vacuum. ron

seasick

Reaction score
I understand it is one tank with two pickups but that doesn't change my feeling that even with a blocked vent, that both motors would not shutdown at the same time. The chance that both pickups have the exact same pump draw is not high. If the vent were blocked, as vacuum builds one motor and pump will 'out suck' the other causing one motor to sputter and die before the other (the stronger 'sucker')

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
We need to hear back from the OP. More details, such as... did the engines shut down at exactly the same time or was there time difference, however slight? Also, answering some of the questions/discussions posed above. For now, we're just playing a guessing game with limited info.

eppem

Reaction score
The pick ups on my aft tank run fore and aft, just so you don't kill both engines if you run out of fuel. Don't ask me how I know! Ha!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Get some fuel in the tank. Change the fuel separators. Run both off the known tank. Switch one to the second and see if it runs. If not, run both off the known tank again, then swap the other engine and confirm it behaves the same way. If so, I'd check the valve and run a snake through the line and ensure no blockage. You'll probably need to remove the separator again for this.
If it was bad gas, you'll have to pump out and ensure you get all the water/bad gas out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One last thing, when corrected, run one off each tank going forward to keep the fuel fresh.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
DennisG01 said:
We need to hear back from the OP.

I think the OP is another "one and done". He either got his answer here or somewhere else. Kind of irks me. Ask for help and never reply. Seen it done by long time members also, surprising........

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
We need to hear back from the OP. More details, such as... did the engines shut down at exactly the same time or was there time difference, however slight? Also, answering some of the questions/discussions posed above. For now, we're just playing a guessing game with limited info.

Yes, a guessing game but it is winter in my area and on days like today,I have a bit of time to shoot the breeze in between ordering things for my spring maintenance:)

Too cold to work on the 'other' boat. BTW I haven't mentioned it but the 'other' boat is a NAG.
That's short for Not a Grady....
Just waiting for warmer weather to get going on the Grady and the NAG!