Boat Lift

chrisk

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to stay at a relative's house in the Keys this summer. They have a long dock with a boat lift at the end of the dock. It has a capacity of 15K lbs and is set up for a 24' bay boat. I have a 1992 246G Explorer that I would like to keep on the lift while we are there. My question is - the bunks on the lift are approx. 18-20 inches apart (center to center). Not sure if this is wide enough for my Explorer. If I spread them wider, the boat will sit lower on the cradle and if too wide/low, the bottom will hit the crossmembers. Is the current width OK or should I reconsider using the lift? As a comparison, the bunks on my trailer are probably 36-48 inches apart.

Thanks,

Chris

seasick

Reaction score
chrisk said:
I have the opportunity to stay at a relative's house in the Keys this summer. They have a long dock with a boat lift at the end of the dock. It has a capacity of 15K lbs and is set up for a 24' bay boat. I have a 1992 246G Explorer that I would like to keep on the lift while we are there. My question is - the bunks on the lift are approx. 18-20 inches apart (center to center). Not sure if this is wide enough for my Explorer. If I spread them wider, the boat will sit lower on the cradle and if too wide/low, the bottom will hit the crossmembers. Is the current width OK or should I reconsider using the lift? As a comparison, the bunks on my trailer are probably 36-48 inches apart.

Thanks,

Chris
The spacing sounds narrow. For a flatter bottom hull like a bay boat, it is OK but for a deep V I would expect that centering the hull while loading to balance the load could be a challenge. I would also be concerned about stability once loaded, and clearing things like thru hulls and strainers If it were me, I would find out the name of the lift manufacturer and contact them for advice.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree that it's quite possible you will need to adjust the bunks - and accounting for any thru-hulls is a good idea. BUT... I have seen boats like yours (and bigger) with relatively narrow bunk spacing on the lift. It's not like you'll have to worry about stability while trailering. The narrow spacing, itself, I do not think is going to pose any structural or functional problems. Although 20" does sound "extra" narrow. Given that it's rated for 15K pounds, I can't imagine that you won't be able to set it up properly for your boat as that lift is meant for boats much bigger than yours - and will most likely also have a V-hull.

chrisk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have to watch my thru hull for my livewell but it shouldn't be an issue. I'll get some exact measurements but as noted in the replies, I've seen dry storage bunks pretty close together fo bigger boats. Probably won't lift the boat too far out of the water, just enough to get it above high tide. I have to be careful widening the bunks because that will lower the boat on the lift and it will hit the crossmembers.

Chris