GW 223 Livewell Draining?

Greyduk

Reaction score
I ran my "new to me" Tournament 223 yesterday for the first time. I was very pleased with everything about it. I really am looking forward to using it this spring and summer. During the run I found that the larger live well behind the passenger seat had accumulated about 4 or 5 inches of water. I don't think that I did anything to cause it but I couldn't seem to find a way to drain it. Is there something that I could try to drain it? I am going back to the boat Friday,so I can play around with it some then. Thanks for the input.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If it has the tube in the middle of the livewell, it unscrews and comes off to drain. Also, If you look at the threads, there should be a hole. If you don't screw it all the way down, a little bit can drain out during operation taking sediment that might collect on the bottom with it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If water is entering your livewell while running, the seacock is open or partially open or leaking by. This should not happen.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the water was not in the well before you ran the boat, you probably have an open seacock to the live well. Even though you never ran the pump the forward motion of the boat allows water to flow in through the seacock and pump to the live well. Shut that valve after each use and the well will stay dry.

Fishtales

Reaction score
as stated you should be able to drain it via the screw hole in the bottom. i'm guessing your stopper was in the drain?
when running, the livewell can fill up if the seacock is open. water is pulled through the inlet during running and can fill the livewell. I had it overflowing once on my 282.

best way is to always have the seacock closed when the livewell is not in use. during use and running, keep the tube in and it should drain out the top.