Dock lines

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I searched through the forum but did not see a discussion about dock lines. After Hurricane Irene removed our dock which is now rebuilt, I have decided to replace all the dock lines for my Marlin. The boat is tied up to a single sided dock, so all lines run on the port side to the dock. I am conflicted on whether to get 1/2 inch three strand or 5/8 inch three strand. The Marlin is a heavy boat and I think 5/8 is the way to go.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For a 30' boat, it's not excessively heavy. It's in line with other 30' boats. With the outboards, it does save a good amount of weight compared to a sterndrive or inboard, as well. 1/2" 3-strand is totally fine for the boat in terms of strength. However, you can't go wrong going a bit bigger and if your cleats fit 5/8" line comfortably (can get two lines on one cleat), then go for it. It will definitely "feel" better in your hands. But functionally, 1/2" is more than adequate.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
5/8"!!!

And I say get the double braided instead of the 3 strand. Stays softer over time and way less stretch especially when it gets wet like during a storm. Totally worth the extra money to keep my mind at ease!

Fishtales

Reaction score
another vote for 5/8. 3/4 is waay too much and 1/2 is adequate if you get a good deal.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
journeyman said:
And I say get the double braided instead of the 3 strand. Stays softer over time and way less stretch especially when it gets wet like during a storm. Totally worth the extra money to keep my mind at ease!

Journeyman, could you explain this a bit? I’ve read that the stretch provided in a nylon line (especially three-strand) is a benefit. It allows your cleats to be pulled more gently/gradually, instead of being yanked firmly by a line that won’t give at all. Is there some reason that you're avoiding that stretch by going with the double-braided lines?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For permanent dock lines I would vote for 5/8"- 3 strand. For tie-up lines to carry on the boat for while you are present I would choose 1/2"- 3 strand. Stretch is your friend and you can quickly splice an eye in 3 strand if you have a special need.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I concur with the majority. My main dock lines are 5/8". I use 1/2" lines as the temporary lines at the gas dock, tying up at other marinas etc. The only problem with the 5/8" is tying off multiple lines during storms. I wish the cleats the were just a little bigger. I use double braid for all lines, I just find it looks nice and is more user friendly. I even color coordinated my bow/stern and spring lines, It make my life easier to just say "grab the black line" when pulling into the dock.

Gary M

Reaction score
Had my Marlin docked up with 1/2 inch lines and it all did very well during the 90+ mph winds from Hurricane Irma last Fall. I'm able to easily use two lines on one cleat and that's why I use 1/2 inch.

In the Bahamas, I'll use my 5/8 line for my spring line as that one takes more stress than bow/stern lines.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jonah said:
journeyman said:

Journeyman, could you explain this a bit? I’ve read that the stretch provided in a nylon line (especially three-strand) is a benefit. It allows your cleats to be pulled more gently/gradually, instead of being yanked firmly by a line that won’t give at all. Is there some reason that you're avoiding that stretch by going with the double-braided lines?

Stretch is not a bad thing. It does allow for give. But too much is not. I've read once somewhere on NE ropes that 3 strand can stretch 14 to 16% while double braid only 8 to 10%. May not seem like a lot but when does line stretch the most? During a storm when it gets wet from rain and there is tension from wind. Still have stretch but less with braid during a time I'd rather not have my rig banging around on the dock.

I used to use a 3 strand spring line to keep my skegs about a foot of the main dock. We had a nasty nor'easter come through a few years ago and I took a ride to check on things and found my skegs 2 inches from disaster. Never since changing.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've been saying double braid when I should have been saying Mega-braid. Sorry for any confusion......

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Could find the info again on NE ropes website.
Here’s what I got from West Marine. All NE Ropes:

5/8” 3-Strand
Breaking Strength 11650 (1/2” 7500)
Stretch 16% (1/2” 16%)

5/8” Mega Braid
Breaking Strength 9300 (1/2” not available)
Stretch 9 - 12% (1/2” not available)

5/8” Double Braid
Breaking Strength 13500 (1/2” 8500)
Stretch 6.5% (1/2” 6.5%)

Notice:
The 3-strand has the most stretch and the ½” 3 strand has the lowest breaking strength.
Double Braid has the lowest stretch and a higher breaking strength.
Mega Braid is a middle ground but probably is the most expensive of the 3.

Just Info...............................

freddy063

Reaction score
make your own dock lines, get 200' of 5/8 3 strand and splice a loop on the ends, if your worried about a storm, add a few lines, can;t go wrong with bigger and a few added lines.