Mounting Twins on Adventure?

Mgaul1

Reaction score
Good evening,

I live in Hawaii and fish nearly every weekend. Safety is priority one.

I wanted to know if anyone has mounted twin outboards on their Adventure? I’ve done some research but can’t find anything.

I’m looking to mount either twin 70hp or 90hp on my Adventure 20. I have an e-tec 150 with a 15hp kicker at the moment but I’ll be tossing the e-tec in the near future.

My first thought was a new Yamaha 150, but I’d really like to know if twin 70hp Yamaha’s will fit. I’ll sacrifice top end spend and performance for the safety as II just want to ensure I’m going to get home. Hawaii’s waters are no joke and seldom will I ever need to exceed 20 knots.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

-Mike

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mike: I do recall that Grady's own catalogs from 1976 or 1977, which you can find on Grady's web site, show the 20 with twins. If that is accurate, use that as an entry point to ask Grady if it can be made to work on more current models.

Why I can remember things like that when I cant remember what I did yesterday...

Rob

seasick

Reaction score
Mgaul1 said:
Good evening,

I live in Hawaii and fish nearly every weekend. Safety is priority one.

I wanted to know if anyone has mounted twin outboards on their Adventure? I’ve done some research but can’t find anything.

I’m looking to mount either twin 70hp or 90hp on my Adventure 20. I have an e-tec 150 with a 15hp kicker at the moment but I’ll be tossing the e-tec in the near future.

My first thought was a new Yamaha 150, but I’d really like to know if twin 70hp Yamaha’s will fit. I’ll sacrifice top end spend and performance for the safety as II just want to ensure I’m going to get home. Hawaii’s waters are no joke and seldom will I ever need to exceed 20 knots.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

-Mike

You will be underpowered with twin 70s. The single lightweight 150 is the bare minimum and two 70s would weigh more than the 150 and also present more drag than the single. The extra weight will push the hull lower also adding low speed drag and maybe submerged scuppers depending on the hull year and added loads. The best match for that hull would be the inline 4cyl 200 model.
If you want to be safe, save the bucks on two motors and equip with Epirb, floating handheld VHF and appropriately equipped ditch bag.
Note that if you have a fuel issue with twins like bad gas or heaven forbid, you run out of gas, twins aren't going to add any value.

Mgaul1

Reaction score
[/quote]

You will be underpowered with twin 70s. The single lightweight 150 is the bare minimum and two 70s would weigh more than the 150 and also present more drag than the single. The extra weight will push the hull lower also adding low speed drag and maybe submerged scuppers depending on the hull year and added loads. The best match for that hull would be the inline 4cyl 200 model.
If you want to be safe, save the bucks on two motors and equip with Epirb, floating handheld VHF and appropriately equipped ditch bag.
Note that if you have a fuel issue with twins like bad gas or heaven forbid, you run out of gas, twins aren't going to add any value.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Those are definitely some considerations that have been in the back of my mind. Especially on whether or not twin 70s would even cut it for power, ideally it’d be 90s but I’m quite doubtful they would even fit after some more research. It sounds like my overall best bet is to stick with what I have going. The kicker works just fine, it’s just going to be a long ride home, luckily I fish on the Windward side so I always have a nice breeze and swell to push me back! Lol.

I was a little worried about the new Yamaha being an in-line 4cyl. I don’t really like the idea of that, and worry it might not have the desired level of low end power required for chasing down piles in big seas, which the V6 models seem to do fine with.

Socalinsd

Reaction score

Note that if you have a fuel issue with twins like bad gas or heaven forbid, you run out of gas, twins aren't going to add any value.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Those are definitely some considerations that have been in the back of my mind. Especially on whether or not twin 70s would even cut it for power, ideally it’d be 90s but I’m quite doubtful they would even fit after some more research. It sounds like my overall best bet is to stick with what I have going. The kicker works just fine, it’s just going to be a long ride home, luckily I fish on the Windward side so I always have a nice breeze and swell to push me back! Lol.

I was a little worried about the new Yamaha being an in-line 4cyl. I don’t really like the idea of that, and worry it might not have the desired level of low end power required for chasing down piles in big seas, which the V6 models seem to do fine with.[/quote]

I agree the Yamaha inline 4 cylinder is the best engine choice for a 208. With the variable valve timing you will still have the low midrange and top end performance. Weight is essentially the same as a 2 stroke and throw in the improved gas mileage over the V6 4 stroke. I can squeeze out up to 3.2 mpg with a typical load and good conditions.