Yamaha Guages Failed

capeboter

Reaction score
Guys, I could use some help. My guages quit working. I went to use the boat on Friday and when I turned the keys there was no display on the guages but the engines started and ran fine. I then shut down the engines and turned the keys on again. This time only the speed/fuel and the port engine tach came on but with no information from the engines, only dashes and one blinking bar for the engine trim. The dealer had someone on the boat today and replaced one guage and the computers on both engines. Still no info from the engines. By info I mean oil pressure,water temp, batt charge. The dealer and Yamaha are stumped. Any suggestions?

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about this but it sounds more like a communications problem then a component problem. In general don't solid state components fail all the way not just part of the way? I would look at the communications buss (wires) between the engines and the displays.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mike, I know I don't have to tell you this so please don't take it the wrong way... your motors are still under warranty so don't try to fix it yourself or you may end up paying for it. What is your confidence level in your dealer? Ask them what their plan of action is. Have they given up? If so don't hestitate to call Grady customer service if you aren't getting satisfaction. Good luck.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One of the pluses of buying a new boat is not worrying about what's wrong. Have them do whatever it takes to fix it.

If they changed the compters and a guage, it may be in the comm wire or a terminating resistor, but then again let them fix it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is the first time I read or heard of a seemingly common bus problem effecting both motors with Command Link. Looks like dealer can't figure it out. That makes sense.

If all instruments get power from a common source be it the commmon bus or other, then have to check there, pos as well as negative feed.

Prior to Command Link this could not happen since all wiring and instruments are unique to each motor, and each motor's respective fuse for these circuits.

capeboter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Tashmoo, definitely a comm issue. JOE, no offense taken, high confidence in the dealer and not at the customer service level, yet. BobP, the tech bypassed one wiring harness to the buss closest to the engines and the guages still did not register any info. So the thinking now is it is an engine issue and waiting on Yamaha for an answer. By the way there was a significant amount of lightning around where the boat is tied up wednesday and thursday of last week. Possible cause?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
capeboter said:
By the way there was a significant amount of lightning around where the boat is tied up wednesday and thursday of last week. Possible cause?

Very well could be... our house has been hit twice and the power boat in back of me was also hit... in all cases wierd things happened(broke). On the power boat the windlass ended up with a problem where it would start to work and then just stop. Windlass had to be replaced but none of the switches, wiring, fuses etc. He had a few other minor problems also. The lightening hit a sailboat mast next to him and jumped over to his boat. The sailboat was completely undamaged.

Glad to hear you have faith in your dealer... that makes a world of difference. With the lack of problems these motors have their service department is probably breaking new ground.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capeboter,
I have a 2006 marlin with the same problem you encountered back in June, after a nasty lightning storm. My port gauge works fine (stopped working for about ten minutes yesterday), my starboard gauge shows no voltage, tach, oil pressure, temp, etc.

What was the outcome for your boat?

As fate would have it, I planned on using the boat everyday this week as we are on vacation. I hate to have the boat tied up at a dealer all week for something that probably does not affect the engines themselves.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

striped bass

Reaction score
Definitely check the fuse panel and all the fuses. I gauges go on and off as well and the fuse panel was the problem. Replaced the fuse panel and all the fuses and all is well.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When in doubt about Yamaha stuff, contact Andy at Shipyard Island Marine (SIM). He has helped me and many others. Easiest way to find him is at The Hull Truth in the vendor forum.

Good luck with the problem.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I contacted Andy at SIM earlier. I learned that the gauges are fine with the help I got from Andy. Must be on the engine harness or one of the two strips that connect all of the wiring from the engine to the dash mounted gauges (buss I think was the name).

Any one else have a similar problem (on the only week they take off for the summer).

capeboter

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. The dealer has eliminated the boat as a source of the problem. Meaning the engine wiring harness must be the culprit. Yamaha has not given any meaningful input yet. The alarms still work and the engines run fine. ( trip from Falmouth to Boston this past weekend without the guages.) We had a great trip, it's just frustrating trying to have the engines run the same rpm by sound.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capeboter,
You mean to tell me that you have been driving your boat without working gauges since June? You and I are the only ones in the country that have this problem? Today I lost the port gauge output for good I guess.

Any other ideas?

capeboter

Reaction score
Tuna Man, I've only run the boat this past weekend with the guages out. My suggestion would be to get the dealer, Grady and Yamaha involved, just as they are with my boat. I don't believe we are the only owners to have this problem though it is very rare.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes Bob I did speak to Andy at SIM. He walked me through a few things that helped eliminate the possibilities. I have learned that the problem is not the gauges themselves. I am hoping it could be the bus wire or one of the hubs (hope it is not motor related since they both run perfect). I am will find out soon, waiting for a call from the local Yamaha dealer.