Combing Bolsters on 2003 SeaFarer 228

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Any idea about having these recovered?
Grady does not make the replacements for my year.
Thanks....

seasick

Reaction score
Surely Bassey said:
Any idea about having these recovered?
Grady does not make the replacements for my year.
Thanks....

There are a few different approaches to the job. First of all, if the current foam is wet and moldy, it should be replaced and the cost for that depends on the foam used. Reticulated cell foam that passes water works very well but is a lot more expensive than . DryFast is one brand
The choice for the vinyl also is a cost issue. The Seaquest pleated vinyl (chalk color is close match) will match the original but costs more than plain vinyl and requires more piecing and sewing.
Replicating the factory welting adds cost too.
If the bolsters are straight lengths, the cost to redo is a lot less than if they curve around the aft section.
If straight, the least expensive option is to buy bolster sections but depending on your length needs, you may need to but two or more end to end. In addition, they will be white and not an exact match to the GW color.
Bottom line is that you need a good canvas/cushion shop to give you an estimate. Just make sure you know what you are getting for the price.
Be careful using a non-marine cushion shop since vinyl not made for marine exposures can develop mold or mildew.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Hey Seasick, thanks for the reply. You are in my area. Do you know of any shops that can do this well? I travel the tri state area for my sales job and I go everywhere....Thanks....Lou

seasick

Reaction score
Surely Bassey said:
Hey Seasick, thanks for the reply. You are in my area. Do you know of any shops that can do this well? I travel the tri state area for my sales job and I go everywhere....Thanks....Lou
I have a buddy who had his redone last year. Let me ask the name of the shop he used. I will get back to you

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
thanks for your help. do you know if they will use marine materials like open cell foam, dryfast, etc?

seasick

Reaction score
Surely Bassey said:
thanks for your help. do you know if they will use marine materials like open cell foam, dryfast, etc?
I don't know for sure but I suspect that since they are mainly an auto upholstery shop, they may not at least as the Dryfast goes. By the way, that foam is reticulated foam not the same as open cell.
The original Grady bolsters wrapped the foam in plastic to keep it dry. They didn't use the Dryfast type of foam. The plastic served two uses, it protected the foam from water and it makes inserting the foam into things like cushions, a lot easier. When it gets old and ripped, water can get in and then the mold starts. The Grady bolsters have a mesh strip on the bottom that allows any liquid water that gets inside to get out.
Most replacements I have seen do not replicate that vent. They may ( and on some Gradys have to) install grommets so that the bolsters can be screwed on.

As mentioned, if your bolsters are straight, there are premade generics you can buy that are a lot less expensive than custom and seem to hold up well.
Here is a link to an example of bolsters that can also be bent a bit.
http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Cockpit- ... _id.713478

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What do you guys think about those solid-foam type bolsters? I believe they're made from some type of closed-cell foam (very dense). Almost like those anti-fatigue workshop floor mats that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, if you know I mean. They come in various colors and don't use any vinyl - supposedly they last a lot longer. I've seen pictures of these, but have yet to actually touch and feel one.

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
What do you guys think about those solid-foam type bolsters? I believe they're made from some type of closed-cell foam (very dense). Almost like those anti-fatigue workshop floor mats that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, if you know I mean. They come in various colors and don't use any vinyl - supposedly they last a lot longer. I've seen pictures of these, but have yet to actually touch and feel one.
I have seen pictures also but have no first or second hand experience. Some are peel and stick too which may be good or may be a problem. At first glance, they seem to be a lot less thick than upholstered bolsters but that in itself may not be a bad thing. I am also interested in hearing other folks hands on experiences.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
While I am in no way new to boats (all styles, engines, etc), I am new to owning this style of boat. Is the main purpose of the bolster to give your thighs some cushioning? It seems like the traditional bolster would offer much more cushioning. Are there other reasons to have bolsters that I'm not thinking of?

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
While I am in no way new to boats (all styles, engines, etc), I am new to owning this style of boat. Is the main purpose of the bolster to give your thighs some cushioning? It seems like the traditional bolster would offer much more cushioning. Are there other reasons to have bolsters that I'm not thinking of?
In my opinion the sole purpose is for cushioning. A concern I might have with thinner pads is that depending on the toe rail location, your leg angle might be uncomfortable with a thinner bolster since they could be angled forward. In addition the pads may not be a soft as the upholstered bolsters. On rolling and rocking days at sea while fishing, I really appreciate the soft padding.
Of course if you don't fish a lot, it doesn't make much of a difference; bolster, thin bolster, no bolster. It's an aesthetics issue.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I tried to see Skillman Upholstery in Corona Queens but he's not there any longer. Some other shop bought his tel # and is in a different location. Do you have any other ideas how I can contact him???

seasick

Reaction score
Surely Bassey said:
I tried to see Skillman Upholstery in Corona Queens but he's not there any longer. Some other shop bought his tel # and is in a different location. Do you have any other ideas how I can contact him???
He is still in business according to my friend who saw him yesterday. The shop is in the junk yard (yes in the yard) that is across the street from City Field Stadium on 126th street. I will try to get the phone number later today and post it.

( I am told he did move over a year ago.. I guess he changed numbers)

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Let me know the new phone number and if you could give me his name that would be great. I went through all those junk yards last week and the roads there are like a 3rd world country. Lou

seasick

Reaction score
Surely Bassey said:
Thanks so much. Let me know the new phone number and if you could give me his name that would be great. I went through all those junk yards last week and the roads there are like a 3rd world country. Lou
LOL

My friend says that the man's name is Arturo at 718 458-4321. If you want you can say that Steve (my friend) from the auto body supply company suggested you go there.
Good luck