Grady 228/226 Port Seat Foot Rest Ideas

GulfSea

Reaction score
If you guys can't tell from my recent posts, I've "finally" gained enough free time to really start detailing comfort items on my 228. She sits next to the house under a recently built carport with all the tools and motivation available to play with. So next up (after the speaker locations post) is the port side helm seat. The way it is positioned, it's very uncomfortable. The seat base is installed to the forward edge of the mounting space which from pictures I've seen is the correct place. But being there, the fold down foot rest doesn't really fit for comfort.

I've had a small cooler there for a foot rest and it works ok but crowds the area. So what have you guys come up with and/or has it even been an issue?? My 1st thought is to change the seat so it can slide back some while still leaving room for the cockpit seat aft of it. Currently is has a stationary swivel it's mounted too.

Gulfsea

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mount the foot rest onto the fwd bulkhead instead of the seat base?

If you use a slide, keep in mind that it adds a good two inches. If that makes it too high for whoever sits there most of the time, you can cut the pipe down, but only if it's not a tapered end (I'm not positive, but I don't think it is?).

GulfSea

Reaction score
If I put a foot rest on the bulkhead, the cabin door will hit it. I took the capt's side seat slider yesterday and installed it on the port side; it seemed to fit well enough so I may pursue that line of thought. Cutting the mount tube lower could easily be done.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Actually, a single foot rest could go there (bulkhead) without inhibiting the door and could help. I'm 99% certain just moving the seat back either by a slide swivel or permanent mount will be the ultimate answer. I played around with the slide adjust today and there is a nice spot for it to rest making it much more comfortable using the existing foot rest; I'm thinking of physically locking it in place and getting a new slider mount for the Capt's side.