Underwater transom lighting

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My online shopping for underwater transom lighting has been unsuccessful, I'm not finding the level of advice/service I'm expecting (and it is a pretty low bar).

So I'll turn to you guys. 2007 Marlin, lots of weekend dockside fishing gatherings where ambience is a priority. Who has done it, how did you do it, dos and don'ts and which lights are the best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Randy

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I have and will again use Seablaze X by Lumitec. Easy install as long as you have or can rent long arms.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not done it for one primary reason - drilling holes in a wood cored area that sits underwater doesn't feel right to me. I installed strips of blue led under the gunwales and swapped out the bulbs in the cockpit lighting with blue led.

zimm

Reaction score
I do know there are come models that are "surface mount" and you only have to drill a small hole for the wire and mounting screws. I'd rather do that. Once you bore a big hole- it's going to be difficult to eventually replace the light (they won't last forever). And we all know how long these companies stay in business or keep a certain model in production...

I looked into it, then realized on the potomac river, shining light underwater would an incredible waste of energy. I would probably get a 1' poo-brown glow.

gw204

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Parthery said:
http://www.coastalnightlights.com

Chris is a good guy and stands behind his product.

I also used his under water and spreader lights and they are very good quality.

3rd vote. I bought a set from him for my Dad for Christmas one year. Was very impressed with the price, quality and customer service. Dad ended up not using them and Chris took them back no questions asked. I would have kept them for myself but I didn't want the black casings that matched Dad's bottom paint.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don't want to hijack this thread but Randy didn't ask (maybe he already knows), but what color do most of you have and why? Does it matter what you're fishing for and whether you're, say, in Florida vs. New England?

gw204

Reaction score
I remember Chris telling me that green shows up the best. I thought that would look odd up here in our brown water, so I bought blue or white. Can't remember which.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have lumitec's also - very happy, they are bright and change color from an existing on/ off switch. I didn't want another hole below water line and it would have been tough to reach the inside where the holes would be so I had blocks made, mounted the lights to the blocks, ran the wires in a groove on the back of the blocks, ran wires up the outside of the transom and through a hole inside splashwell ( above waterline) plugged holes in Splashwell with 5200 and covered with SS clamshells.

There have been several light reviews on thehulltruth. Maybe check there
Canyon 336

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the tips. Boat is back in the water now till late spring, I'll research your leads and see what I can put together. I agree drilling holes below the waterline should be avoided at all costs, so was happy to hear of the guys who minimized this by using their brains. I'll let you know if I ever get around to it.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here's what I have on my 330 express.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 3,881

Another Distraction

Reaction score
When you install these lights in your wood cored Grady, drill a larger diameter hole first. Next glass the hole over like you were repairing the hole. Then, drill a smaller diameter hole in the glassed in repair section for the light's stud/wire. Wet core problem solved.

If after your drill this larger hole and you find a wet, rotted, core.......don't do the above. You're screwed!

Love the lights!!!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep, or just drop a light stick in the water when you are fishing. my guess is 90% of these lights are for show.