My fight with the pulpit

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It seems like every couple years I am patching and gelcoating the pulpit. After lots of pondering, I have come to the conclusion that the area around the lift ring / cleat, was allowing moisture to wick up from the anchor locker. I had previously removed and sealed the top surface andit looked tight, so the moisture had to be coming up through the bottom, thus, the wet anchor rode stowed in the locker. So this time, I removed the threadded rod to the lift ring/cleat and used epoxy resin inside the hole. I sure hope this will elliminate some of the problems. That pulpit sure is made with alot of crap, very little glass mat from what I could see after grinding some other areas down to solid material.

image.jpg2_zpsqof7h51l.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsvqjibds8.jpg

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Why don't you just have someone make one for you out of starboard :mrgreen: . You won't have to patch anything ever.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
ahill said:
Starboard doesn't have sufficient structure.

Says who? I've built dozens of bow pulpits out of two pieces of 3/4" starboard doubled up. Plenty strong. They don't crack, split, fade or require any up keep at all.

fcbcfaabf37ae47ecc883cec1ac0efa8_zps5d818532.jpg

2b805b4af1b31dfdb7cebdbdfade5dd5_zps95737b6c.jpg

7cc43e437b1931caf44b5b2d6f82e422_zps2c058f09.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
1st grady said:
That pulpit sure is made with alot of crap, very little glass mat from what I could see after grinding some other areas down to solid material.

It's probably the same garbage that they use/used to build the fishbox hatches. If it keeps giving you trouble, I would suggest during the next off season that you pull it off completely, make it smooth and cast a mold from it. Then layup a proper pulpit in the mold. That will fix it once and for all.