Garmin 741XS & I-Pad

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 741XS installed with a Nmea 2000 network installed. looking at adding an additional display of some type due to all the information on the network out of the 741. tired of switching pages / screens all the time. I know I can use the garmin app and see the information on the garmin thru the wifi on my apple phone but is it possible to see other screens than what is displayed on the 741. If so thinking of using an I-pad?

Would check but boat is at coast 200 miles away.....

Thoughts and advise?

Neyland

Reaction score
I have the same unit just installed in our boat, but they told me that the IPad will only mimic what's on the unit's screen. I have nothing to verify that with as we're a IPadless house.

Fisherman 230

Reaction score
I have Garmin Bluechart installed on my IPad and connect to the 741XS via the built-in WiFi from the 741. Basically the 741 acts as an external gps for the IPad. The IPad displays the Bluechart regardless of the screen mode the 741 is in. Seems to work well. Good luck with yours.

Neyland

Reaction score
Did some more research on this last night and found the Helm app allows you to remote control the Garmin unit. This pretty much mirrors your displays across the IPad and chartplotter. BlueChart Mobile allows you to plan trips and upload to the chartplotter, but as Fisherman points out will use the charplotter's GPS to overlay your current position on the BlueChart's maps.

I don't think there's a way to see sonar information on your IPad except through Helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VcpOUJ2eSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtuk7Kyq4A

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Thanks for the Help. I play with it a little this weekend. Hope to run a different screen than the 741.....