Grady White Marlin 300 Modifications

jonaly179

Reaction score
In the process of selling our Marlin 30 and sea trailing our next Grady, it became apparent that we love our Marlin and decided to keep it. So with that we are doing some mods that I think other Marlin owners would be interested in. We are currently having the cabin Windows fiber glassed in, no more cabin windows, removed all old Grady graphics, re powering with Suzuki 300s, installing full tower with controls. We've already put in a 12,000 btu with helm discharge and it does keep the helm cool, added a freezer system in the fish box, replaced head with jabsco quiet flush head, led lights everywhere, 8 speaker stereo with 10" sub and 2,000 watts (2) amps. pics coming soon!

Reactions: Ozz043

Gary M

Reaction score
Wow! Lots of stuff!

We too have decided to keep our 2001 Marlin after 10 summer and over 800 hours. I have the electronics that I want (Furuno NavNet, 64 nm radar, Simrad A/P) aft Bimini and on and on. Older OX-66 engines and when one finally dies, we'll probably just pop in a Fact Re-man OX-66. To put F-250s in would cost $45-50k and I'd never get the $$ back in economy.

My old Furuno 582L fishfinder needed a new screen and that cost $400 but the new Furuno FF just look2 too 'cartoonish' with their fish symbol displays, etc.

Post photos!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Pics would be great.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, how we doing with the pics. Gotta see the windows glassed in. When you installed the larger AC unit where did you cut the hole to supply the helm? Never seen the big Zukes on a Grady. How's the performance and are the scuppers under water?

jonaly179

Reaction score

Attachments

• grady windows.JPG
    grady windows.JPG
    855.8 KB · Views: 6,699
Reactions: Meanwhile

jonaly179

Reaction score
ok got the boat back on Saturday from fiberglass and we couldn't be happier!! we are thrilled with the results and cant wait to move onto the new upper station and Suzuki 300s. Boat will get a three step hull polish so we wont see the old graphics line. Grady has already sent their new logos so they will be going on soon after the hull sides are polished. For the helm A/C, I had to punch a 4" hole on the port side below to the left of the cabin entry door.

Attachments

• 2015 iphone pics 416.JPG
    2015 iphone pics 416.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6,691

devildogdad

Reaction score
on the cockpit A/C, did you use the original ac in the cabin and divert it to the cockpit? did you install a new unit? I would appreciate any photos or drawing etc that you might have. I would love to have AC in the cockpit. thanks

jonaly179

Reaction score
I replaced the AC with a MarineAir 12,000 BTU Turbo. I originally was using stock AC but it wasn't really doing much for cooling. Since the AC is almost double BTU, there was some slight modification where the AC is mounted due to the size of the new AC. The return grille had to be bigger and I had to add another return grille to allow the airflow to the AC. I had to add two Y connectors to plumb the AC. It's a 4" duct to the front vent, 6" towards the bunk area then there's a Y that diverts two 4" duct one to the bunk and one up to the helm by the companion seat. The front vent must always be open, and the bunk can be open or closed. With it open the airflow in the helm is still very good but if you shut the bunk vent halfway, the airflow in the helm is tremendous and with the curtains down it will get cool during the day and very cold at night. It was quite a bit of work but it was well worth it especially during the late afternoon into the evening you create a whole other sitting area that's cool and comfortable. I'll post pictures of the return grilles. Also the generator powers the AC and we will adding a dometic smart start for the AC because it does require quite a bit of juice to start.

jonaly179

Reaction score
So we put the carpet back in to cover the windows and put the she led back in. Next up is adding some teak go the inside of the window just to give it some accent and not look so bare.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6,327
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6,325

jonaly179

Reaction score
Got the tower up today, cabin is completely done! Pics coming soon for cabin. Installed all lumitec dimmable lights plus accent lighting in the cabin.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6,204

devildogdad

Reaction score
not being mechanically inclined I hired a pro to put in a second AC. He is going to put a smaller Marine Air in the helm seat and vent it with two outputs on the dash. he will use the intake to the salt water washdown , which I rarely use. I will post photos when he is done. he starts work in about a week

also could you get better photos of your tower, your photos are giant and do not show it all. Thanks

Biscayne208

Reaction score
I wen from a 300 Marlin to a new 232 Gulfstream due to immediate needs and my extreme distaste for the 250 OX66 motors i had. However when my twins turn 3 or 4 I will be getting a twin F300 Powered Marlin. I miss the size and, comfort and practicality of it. These are all super cool mods. The helm A/C is priceless!!

jonaly179

Reaction score
Well boat is finally back in the water and had an awesome
Sea trial. Boat cruises at 35-37mph at 4700 rpm and at 5600 rpm it went 44knots. The Suzuki added a tremendous amount of torque for docking and it's a noticeable change when getting on plane.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 727

jonaly179

Reaction score
Installed 4 new shadow caster marine led scm 10 and the two middle ones are color changing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 709

jonaly179

Reaction score
Just getting back from sea trial. Will add more photos of engines and new dash. We are also designing a new dash panel for the switches. We will be going with push button switches and eliminating the rocker switches. Also have a clear live well lid being made. Added the second chill plate in the fish box and made a tremendous difference in cooling.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    856.5 KB · Views: 702

Risktaker

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
In the process of selling our Marlin 30 and sea trailing our next Grady, it became apparent that we love our Marlin and decided to keep it. So with that we are doing some mods that I think other Marlin owners would be interested in. We are currently having the cabin Windows fiber glassed in, no more cabin windows, removed all old Grady graphics, re powering with Suzuki 300s, installing full tower with controls. We've already put in a 12,000 btu with helm discharge and it does keep the helm cool, added a freezer system in the fish box, replaced head with jabsco quiet flush head, led lights everywhere, 8 speaker stereo with 10" sub and 2,000 watts (2) amps. pics coming soon!
That freezer in the fish bow sounds awesome what kind of unit is it