Transom Mount Transducer on 2000 Grady Marlin

boatino

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I couldn't pass up a black friday deal on a Raymarine Dragonfly Pro 7. I currently have a Raymarine A series unit connected to the through hull transducer. The new unit has down vision and chirp but it comes with a transom mount transducer. First, will the new unit interfere with the old unit if they are run at the same time? Second the new units transducer is like 7-8" long which is really close to the outboards. Does anyone run a transom mount transducer on this size boat or should I be looking at a second thru hull transducer? I don't have pictures but can probably take some this weekend if necessary. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

John

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I almost bought the same thing to improve my fish finding. Please post a review and some photos if you install that transducer. I'll follow this post.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Running a transom mount on a Grady 248. Works great its a Garmin though? Should be the same. See if i can find photos.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Same boat here. Simrad Evo 2 (' screens with one medium chirp thru hull td along with the same transom mount transducer that you speak of. The transom mount ducer works well at low speeds of side scan. Useless a cruise. Mine is mounted between the engines right of the drain plug. It is the only location not affected by prop cavitation at low speed. Any other speed, its a washing machine at the transom and I do not believe any transducer will work on the Marlin at high speed in that location.

boatino

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tom. I really only care about low speed for trolling and the extra GPS for back up. How did you run your wiring to the transducer? Did you drill a hole through the transom or go out through the plate in the motor well and over the back of the transom between the engines? Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,

John

1998sailfish

Reaction score
boatino said:
Thanks for the reply Tom. I really only care about low speed for trolling and the extra GPS for back up. How did you run your wiring to the transducer? Did you drill a hole through the transom or go out through the plate in the motor well and over the back of the transom between the engines? Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks,

John

John,

The bracket is mounted directly to the transom (starboard of the drain plug) and low. I ran the wire upward, and thru my engine bracket, zip tied to my starboard engine rigging tube then thru a watertight grommet in the vertical front wall of the splash well. Have G2 outboards, my rigging tubes are stationary and there is no steering cylinder to avoid. With a little extra slack in your cable , yours will be fine using the same attachment with Yamaha's.

On a separate note, You should think of replacing your two six inch "pop-out" style splash well inspection/ access hatches with the twist in style. Much safer in the splash area. Cheap insurance of a water-tight splash well.