330 Express Repower Questions

JJ2468

Reaction score
We did raise the engines one hole. Could maybe go another hole maybe but I run offshore a lot in rough weather and sometimes vent with large waves

Bayhouse

Reaction score
duckhunter said:
repowering a 330 I just bought, 2003, thinking about Suzuki vs Yamaha 250's digital, any comments appreciated,

I have a 2003 330 that I just re-powered with Zuke 300's and it's a major upgrade from the F225's - whole different boat.

Note - I'm pretty sure the Zuke 250 is the exact same engine as the 300 but programmed differently. Price was the same for the 250 and 300 (might have been the dealer trying to tell me something) so it was a no-brainer for me.

I cruise at 25-27kt at 4500rpm and burn about .9nmpg on an average canyon run. These are great engines for this hull and after almost 400hrs in my first year, I couldn't be happier.

duckhunter

Reaction score
just put 250 zuki on mine, 17 pitch prop that came off the yamaha's, 4500 28mph, 1.1 nm per gallon, 40 mph wide open, 4 guys and full fuel

1998sailfish

Reaction score
We all know the E-Tec G2's are a different animal with no discussion on this forum ( except for me ) BUT..................
But it is my opinion as a previous Yamaha owner and now a twin G2 250 owner................ I will never look back! Outstanding torque, Up on plane quickly, integrated proportional steering, clean splash well and fixed rigging tube, state of the art advance direct injection technology in a engine block designed for extended use with less moving parts. These motors have exceeded all of my expectations.

https://vimeo.com/130056203

https://vimeo.com/130056204

Attachments

• E1.JPG
    E1.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 2,450
Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

JJ2468

Reaction score
Sure the new Etecs are great but I have two issues

1 carrying the two stroke oil
2 resale will 100% be lower with etec and a 2 stroke

Grady's as all knows come with Yamaha and people prefer to buy with yamahas

1998sailfish

Reaction score
JJ2468 said:
Sure the new Etecs are great but I have two issues

1 carrying the two stroke oil
2 resale will 100% be lower with etec and a 2 stroke

Grady's as all knows come with Yamaha and people prefer to buy with yamahas

JJ2468, with all due respect, your statement sounds exactly like the Grady White salesmen that I spoke with at a local boat show just prior to my G2 purchase !

First off:
The OP is very pleased with his 330. He is looking to re power. That being said as well as the cost of ( have you re powered your own vessel with twins ) a re power, seems to be exploring his options. The G2 design, pound for pound and dollar for dollar is years above Yamaha. We all know that Grady's are pre rigged giving the buyer no option to new engine technology for their long term investment. Making the investment in a re-power is not about worrying if Grady is going to give you less on a trade in during your next new Grady purchase but about power, weight, technology, fuel economy, and service. Service meaning : Is there a dealer in your area.

Second:
I have 230 hours on my G2's. I travel regularly to the Continential Shelf slope waters ( canyons) in my Northeast fishing zone. A typical trip is 260 + round trip miles port to port. I do not add oil for the trip. That being said, the casual boater / cruiser will not need to add oil frequently. We all know that two stroke technology is superior to four stroke in power production. Add some clean burning, low viscosity HPDI oil OR spend your money on oil changes........what be your poison ?? If you are comparing the G2 oil usage to other HPDI two strokes or to the work horse Yamaha OX66 then you are either ill informed, a Grady dealer, a Yamaha dealer, behind on technology or all of the above.

For what its worth:

BRP has spent millions designing a state-of-the-art outboard engine that now carries a 10 year ( yep thats correct ) warranty. Their customer service is outstanding. No, I'm not a dealer..............just very happy that I did not follow the " norm" and let that Grady salesperson sway my thought process. :hmm

Happy New Year!

Another Distraction

Reaction score
That etec set up looked to be running at 1.6!!! Nice!! And its revving under 4k easy on the engine rpms too!

A set of yamaha f225 underpowered exhaust corrosion motors, 250 or 300 hpdi bombs, and older f250 copper t stat and exhaust corrosion motors will hurt resale of a Grady.

I almost forgot to add the Yamaha 350 with the internal vibration recall and a flywheel band-aid that resets the hour meter every X hours and the Yamaha 150HP balancer blow your powerhead issue.

JJ2468

Reaction score
Let's have a poll or vote

Who would rather buy the exact same boat with Yamaha f300s
Or etec 300s ?

My point was most would prefer the four strokes

No doubt the etecs have more power and are light years away from the old 2 strokes They are probably better on such a heavy boat just most would prefer the four strokes

duckhunter

Reaction score
update on my repower with 250 Suzuki's, 24gph at 4600 27 mph, 31 gph at 5200 33mph

duckhunter

Reaction score
40 mph at 6000, was doing 46 at 5700 with the older 2 stroke Yamaha 300's

HMBJack

Reaction score
So with the 250 Suzukis, assuming your GPS reads in Statute mph, you're doing one Nautical MPG at cruise (27 statute mph = 23.5 knots).

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Adding some info to this old thread for those interested...

For the 2019 330 Express Grady-White added an extra layer of 2415 to the transom, doubled the arms of the transom brace, and went from double to triple welds on the transom brace arms. Also below is some advisory Yamaha 425 info for you to take a look at.

Important: Product Advisory – Repowering non-current boats with Yamaha 425 hp engines.

** Structural and flotation changes were made to our 2019 models to accommodate the weight, torque and horsepower of the F425 Yamaha engines. Due to these factors, these engines are not suitable for the repowering of boats built prior to the 2019 model year. Even if originally rated for 425 or more horsepower.

FirstTimeGrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2003 330 that I just re-powered with Zuke 300's and it's a major upgrade from the F225's - whole different boat.

Note - I'm pretty sure the Zuke 250 is the exact same engine as the 300 but programmed differently. Price was the same for the 250 and 300 (might have been the dealer trying to tell me something) so it was a no-brainer for me.

I cruise at 25-27kt at 4500rpm and burn about .9nmpg on an average canyon run. These are great engines for this hull and after almost 400hrs in my first year, I couldn't be happier.
Bay House,
Do you still have the 330 with 300 zukes? I have a pair of DF300AP's on order, and am having trouble choosing a prop. Can you provide your prop make and pitch, and wot rpm? Thanks

Reactions: wspitler