Adding rod holders on gunnels, 330 Express

Austin99

Reaction score
Hello,I'm new to site, I was wondering if any one has added flush mount rod holders on a 330 Express, on the gunnels , directly between the existing ones? My boat is a 2014.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Previous owner added 4 Lee swivel rod holders to my Marlin. 2 on each side in addition the Stock 4. I did it on my last boat. East Peasy. Decide where you want them, make sure there is nothing behind, drill the right size hole, seal the wood core with epoxy, through bolt with backing plate, enjoy!

Austin99

Reaction score
Thanks journeyman, sounds like a plan, I want to put in 15 degrees Lees, think it'll make it a lot easier trolling since I just added a center rigger. I may reach out to the dealer and see how much more they cost from Grady with the GW stamped in them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, no specific question but I'll guess that you're wondering about doing the install yourself? Since you're adding angled holders, this becomes a bit harder to install/drill the hole. You only get one chance at this so make sure you double check before you drill. The hard part is getting the hole saw started and then it's possible that you won't be able to go all the way through in one pass. Drill the properly angled pilot hole all the way through. Start the drill mostly straight, then move it to the proper angle as you go (as quickly as possible). Turn the holder upside down and hold it on the the top of the gunwale to show you the angle. Will you also be angling the holder outwards? Make sure to take that into account, too. It's particularly "hard", but it's also not hard to mess up, either.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ahhh, angled.... As Dennis said, a bit trickier. To add to what he said, I would make sure that the bottom of the rod holder will clear the inside of the gunwale. If you angle it too far out, it may hit before sitting flush. Not sure if OEM are a little off center to allow for that. You should check. To help with drilling the hole, you could make a guide for your hole saw using a piece of 1" X 6" lumber. Drill a pilot hole in the wood at the proper angle then use the hole saw. set the rod holder in it to be sure. If you're happy, place your template/guide on the gunwale and have a helper hold it in place. Drill your pilot hole then use your hole saw. This guide will help keep the hole saw from wandering and at the proper angle. Also, by drilling your guide first, you get practice drilling at an angle.

Austin99

Reaction score
Great points guys, greatly appreciate. Absolutely not doing this job by myself. Your posts give me good advice to get the ball rolling. I'll be laid up awhile (hernia surgery) but once it's done I'll post some pics. Thanks again

Reactions: ECO

HMBJack

Reaction score
My advice:

When you get the urge to drill a hole in your boat, sit down and wait for that urge to go away.

Just sayin...

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put in 2 15 degree Lees holders with heavy duty backing plates on my 330 last year, exactly midway between the existing ones. They're great thought they do interfere somewhat with the topmost under-gunnel rod holder (not a big deal at all).

But if I were doing it again, I'd probably do these cool screwless ones from Gemlux: http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/rodholder ... r_2/105526

Or I might even consider those holders that double as cup holders too...

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Apologies for bringing back a thread from the dead! I'm in the position of wanting to add some additional gunnel mounted holders on my 330 express. Currently, it has the 4 which are stock. Seems the two common options are adding a holder between the two existing ones, or one way aft. In a perfect world, I'd just add a pair of 0 degree swivel holders aft. However, my concern is trolling and that rod being in the way of the existing aft holder. The two stock aft holders are not offset, so the line comes straight off the boat.

Adding one between the existing could be done, but it would need to be a 15 degree holder angled halfway between the two existing.

Any experiences on either approach - again, given the biggest concern is keeping the lines clear of one another after a hookup. FWIW, for trolling, the aft holder would be for the flatlines in tight, and the other two would be for the long and short riggers on each side. I'd like to avoid needing a pair of short bent butts if possible, as I think that might help the issue of clearance, but adds other complexity.

I want to future proof myself for taking on larger tuna off Chatham when I get talked into it, hence the desire for a swivel. It would also be likely to be used in canyons for swordfish as well.

I'm not worried about the mechanics of drilling/installation, as I've done it on other boats.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have zero degree swivels, and tuna, you will end up with bent butt rods shortly. Think about where you can comfortably sit, or stand, for long periods, cranking that rod in the holder, before you drill the hole.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is a 265 so you have more room.
I added Gemlux 0deg heavy duty swivel between existing rodholders. If there was space aft of the existing one I'd definitely put one there too.
You're gonna want bent butts for the 0deg swivels. We use a 50 and an 80. 50 is also great for tilefishing in the rodholder.

Forward of the existing rodholders, near the rigger, I added a 30deg facing 90deg out. There is room there to go 90deg out because the gunnel widens slightly and I used screwless rodholder.

aVedCd6l.jpg

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For clarification - yes, bent butts on 80's/130's is name of game for giants. That is in future. 95% of my offshore is trolling S of Martha's vineyard where 30-50lb outfits are typical.

Skunk - I'll have to look at what I can do in terms of going forward as you did. Interesting. Also, definitely would be ok to fight from rear starboard corner, but port not so much. Maybe I'd rethink that one being swivel, and go with just the one.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The point of a swivel rod holder is to fight the fish from the rod holder. Regardless of the class of the outfit, rods are not designed to be used vertically. That puts all the stress on the top 1/3 of the rod, instead of feeding it into the power sections, in the bottom 2/3's.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What about adding 30 degree holders aft? Would that help my issue?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If the gunnel is wide enough, you could put a 30deg holder pointed 90deg out. You don't want the bottom of the rodholder sticking into the cockpit. The screwless Gemlux rodholders have a smaller flange so you can mount farther out & give you a bit more room.

Use that as your flat line and use the existing 30 deg that is pointed straight back as your long rigger.
That 30deg out 90deg makes a great drifting position too

Honestly, you need at least one heavy duty (long) 0deg swivel for your 80/130 fighting position.

One thing I noticed is that my 50 bent butt is too short for the heavy duty 0deg. the bend is right at the edge.(pic below- port side) I'll probably put a shorter 0deg swivel on the Stbd side.
That said, that bent 50 is my favorite tuna rod

Tuna-Mahi 2019-06-27 at 10.31.03 PM 15.jpeg

Below is an 80 in the 0deg. Bend is way above the rim
Tuna-Mahi 2019-06-28 at 9.46.15 AM 7.jpeg

Attachments

• Tuna-Mahi 2019-06-27 at 10.31.03 PM 15.jpeg
    Tuna-Mahi 2019-06-27 at 10.31.03 PM 15.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 1

Lucky13

Reaction score
Apologies for bringing back a thread from the dead! I'm in the position of wanting to add some additional gunnel mounted holders on my 330 express. Currently, it has the 4 which are stock. Seems the two common options are adding a holder between the two existing ones, or one way aft. In a perfect world, I'd just add a pair of 0 degree swivel holders aft. However, my concern is trolling and that rod being in the way of the existing aft holder. The two stock aft holders are not offset, so the line comes straight off the boat.

Adding one between the existing could be done, but it would need to be a 15 degree holder angled halfway between the two existing.

Any experiences on either approach - again, given the biggest concern is keeping the lines clear of one another after a hookup. FWIW, for trolling, the aft holder would be for the flatlines in tight, and the other two would be for the long and short riggers on each side. I'd like to avoid needing a pair of short bent butts if possible, as I think that might help the issue of clearance, but adds other complexity.

I want to future proof myself for taking on larger tuna off Chatham when I get talked into it, hence the desire for a swivel. It would also be likely to be used in canyons for swordfish as well.

I'm not worried about the mechanics of drilling/installation, as I've done it on other boats.
I added on on each side of mine between the existing ones. I took the ones that were aft out and replaced them with 0 degree swivels because I liked the location for fighting larger fish like you said. The ones that were aft I used in the new location and that is middle of the original two per side. I will try and find a picture for you. Very happy with it.

Lucky13

Reaction score
I added on on each side of mine between the existing ones. I took the ones that were aft out and replaced them with 0 degree swivels because I liked the location for fighting larger fish like you said. The ones that were aft I used in the new location and that is middle of the original two per side. I will try and find a picture for you. Very happy with it.
not the best pictures but you can zoom in and see it. Lucky 13 2.jpegLucky 13 nantucket.jpegLucky 13.jpeg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky13, assuming that you replaced standard 30* with heavy duty 0*, did the larger hole take up most of the slant from the 30* hole, and give you a good fit?
Beautiful boat, what model?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Previous owner added 4 Lee swivel rod holders to my Marlin. 2 on each side in addition the Stock 4. I did it on my last boat. East Peasy. Decide where you want them, make sure there is nothing behind, drill the right size hole, seal the wood core with epoxy, through bolt with backing plate, enjoy!

This ^^^