Raymarine AXIOM install

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Had a fun time this weekend decommissioning my old Raymarine C series and Dragonfly system on my 30' Marlin, and running all new Raymarine AXIOM units. It went well, considering electronics isn't my strong suit. Currently I have the entire set of wires pulled, and power to the 9" MFD on the transom. I'm waiting to find a new piece of bone colored Star Board in order to mount the 12" at the helm, but I should be ready. Radar swap was easy, as was positioning and plugging in the network cables.

Left on the list is:
-install B275 transducer through hull. Old thru hull has been removed.
-hook up existing NMEA backbone to the 12"MFD NMEA/power cord
-mount 12" MFD at helm and hook up.
-sea trial!

Results to follow.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also pulled out my C120 and Dragonfly and replacing with twin 12in Axioms! Mounting on my 265.
BTW my old units sold on CL in days.
Got my starboard panel that matches the Grady color from Fin-Addict in NC. Nice to work with and it perfectly matches. I cut the holes in the starboard using RM templates.
You're lucky to have the hardware - I'm still waiting. I'm using my existing radar, B60 transducer, and dsm300 unit. Connecting it all should be interesting.
I'll be interested to hear how your installation goes.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
@Max366 - I would love to see pics of your install. I picked up my 'new to me' 2005 265 in March and have been busy with upgrades since. I have dual C95's in the dash, which are very good units, but I have been looking hard at the 12" Axioms and 12" E128's. Based on the dimensions of the Axiom and the 265 dash, dual 12" should fit very nicely on the 265, so I am very curious to see a finished install. Thanks!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Prince, will do. The hardest part of the install is running the tducer cable from the transom to the helm. The turn from the end of the rigging tube where it turns up to the electronics box, just inside the head compartment, is tight. The rest is straightforward once you have the new electronics box Starboard piece cut and installed. I'll get you the details on the Starboard piece. Fits perfectly once the black acrylic doors are removed. Stay tuned

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I already have plenty of experience with running the cables aft to helm :). I installed the CPT-120 transducer in the spring, installed windlass (my boat came without), installed shore power (came without) and last week I installed the command link 6YC gauge for the engine, which is awesome and came out quite nice (pic attached). That access in the head, where the cables come out of the run and then make the bend upwards and enter the helm, i just took a 1 1/2" hole saw to it and expanded the opening. It was way too tight! That was the easy part, getting the snake up through all those cables, that's another story! I have a piece of starboard in the dash, which the c95's were mounted into and it was cut to fit the dash opening. Color is kind of off (white), but can be used as a template for a new piece. Boatoufitters.com has a good selection of starboard colors and can cut to rough sizes. I bought a piece form them to use on the motor well dam to cover up a major crack caused by someone stepping onto it when boarding (I saw fro various 265 pics on the forum that it's quite common) and the color matchng worked out quite well. Looking forward to see finished product. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,987

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed the dual 12" units today along with the RV transom mount transducer. The installation was straightforward, probably due to the Ravnet hub that connects everything together - radar, second slave unit, conventional sonar via CP370 sonar with B60 transducer, and 3D/side vision/downvision.

The last pic is of the Starboard piece that matches the Grady color with the cutouts per the template; 1st of the units installed; 2nd of the units with suncovers installed.

Hope to take it our tomorrow and try out the various sonar options- will report back, but so far the units seem to be very easy to use and fast response. More later...

Attachments

• 20170622_161436.jpg
    20170622_161436.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,903
  • 20170623_174501.jpg
    20170623_174501.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,903
  • 20170623_174421.jpg
    20170623_174421.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,902

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Prince- what year and make motors do you have? Did they work with the command link OK? I would love to upgrade from those old round gauges that don't really work!

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
@Sea Shift - I have Yamaha F225's, late 2004 production, which are nmea 2k and compatible with the 6yc gauge. What you are looking for to determine compatibility is a square (unused) plug under the cowling with only a blue and white wire. If you have that, you're in business and all you have to do is fork out like $1,250 for the gauge, harnesses, hub, etc. :D

Attachments

• nmea2k.jpg
    nmea2k.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,849

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Prince

Thanks for the kind words. If anyone with a 265 would like the dimensions for the Starboard electronics box cover, let me know. Fin-Addict provided it in the Grady color and routed the edges and did the radius cuts.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looking good guys!

I'm happy. Install was straightforward all things considered. Screens are clear. Software allows serious customization. I paired it with my Yamaha Command link and even bought the Rockford Fosgate stereo system for integration of the music into the MFD's (overkill, but hey....)

MFD's take awhile to power up, but they redraw very very quickly. Radar overlays on chartplotter well.

Very happy.

RC