LED Navigation Lights

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Quite surprised I didn't see more when I searched. Especially since I'm always the last to get the cutting edge stuff. Lopo Light makes a nice set that start at $38 each. Don't mind dropping the coin if they're beter than stock. I just get pissed when I spend money for this high-tech stuff and it's not as good as what I replaced. Anybody got any experience with the LED's?

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I put LED bulbs into my stock grady nav fixtures. 10 seconds to install and the cost of the the bulbs $5/ea themselves, 6 months and no problem.

LEDs are great they don't heat up at all and use much less power on overnighters.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Thanks Joe, are they appreciably brighter than stock?
I think they are brighter and I also like the tiny indicator light on top so I can tell they are working from the helm. The biggest reason I made the switch was more often than not one of my lights would not work because the bulb always came loose. I would have to go up to the bow and "mess with it" to get it working and that was just a hassle.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, I know what you mean about the bulb coming loose. I think that's my problem now and I haven't gotten around to messing with it. Bad design.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe I went with attwoods too, the original fixture lenses were beat and no longer clear turned opaque, so went with entire fixture.

The Nav lights are rated by miles, as I recall.

The red and green lights are way brighter than originals, the top white light was briter too, but not by as much as the red & green ones.
And the white is the usual different LED tone white vs. incandescent bulbs.

I do never expect to turn on the NAV lights again and not have all three go on and no more intermittant type activity. I hope.

Between the LED deck flood lights and LED Nav lites, can leave them on all night for several nights AND days (I bet) and not be concerned at all about running down a battery.

No problem at all with construction quality of the Attwood lights. I found them at West and websites.
The fold down white light is same style but I selected the taller one and custom cut the tube to the height I wanted, a little bit taller than original since the radar scanner was almost as tall.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay, painted all the fake-wood trim, waxed the topsides and hull last week after work, fished the weekend.

Boat Owner's Warehouse in Riviera Beach, FL is where I got them and they were about $5/ea. They had them in stock.

In the daylight they are not quite as bright as the incandescent bulbs, no real noticable difference at night.

Time and Tide

Reaction score
Average Joe,

Do you recall if the mounting footprint was the same as the original lights?
Thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
There are risks with retrofitting led bulbs in the original incandescent designed fixtures. The main potential problem is that the white LEDs have a different color spectrum than the incandescent and there may be less 'energy' in the color range of the original lenses. In some cases, the amount of light emitted after going through the lens could be significantly dimmer. If you are going to upgrade nav lights to LED, I recommend changing the entire fixture.
Changing other bulbs like cabin lights where the lenses are basically clear is not as critical.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Time and Tide said:
Average Joe,

Do you recall if the mounting footprint was the same as the original lights?
Thank you.

T&T,,,,

I have Attwood 2 nautical mile LED's on the way. They are model 9034505 starboard and model 9034513 port, they look to be exact replacements as my original 2004 nav lights. Same footprint.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I installed the attwood LEDs on my boat red/green/anchor. They are more streamlined and look a lot better then the factory lights and are rated up to 2 miles. One of the easiest upgrades I have done, they were an exact fit.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Attwood's arrived today, look to be exact replacement. Already had the Attwood LED anchor here.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Based on this thread I decided to give the Atwood's a try. I ordered them through West Marine. I installed them yesterday.

Pros easy to Install. They are brighter than OEM Perko bulb threads. They are half the price of Perko LEDs.

Cons- I found the housing to be cheaper than the chrome over bronze Perko lights. They are stainless steel and all but it is thin material. I hope it holds up.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Based on this thread I decided to give the Atwood's a try. I ordered them through West Marine. I installed them yesterday.

Pros easy to Install. They are brighter than OEM Perko bulb threads. They are half the price of Perko LEDs.

Cons- I found the housing to be cheaper than the chrome over bronze Perko lights. They are stainless steel and all but it is thin material. I hope it holds up.

I put theses Attwoods on my last boat, they did well and held up fine.

trackah

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have the part # for the LED anchor light? Also does it use the same screw holes as the oem part? same question for the port and starboard running lights same screw holes?

Thanks